Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion conv 13-s052na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to replace my ssd with a 256Gb  ssd.  Can I do this and if so how do I clone the existing SSD.  This is an HP Adata 256GB SSD Solid State Drive SSD AXNS381E-256GM-B - HP:762214-001.

Many thanks

Jc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What I would do is get an external hard drive and use it to create a Windows backup with system image. Then put in the new SSD blank and when you start up the Windows installer go to advanced options and use install from system image and let Windows install from there. A system image with full backup will replace all your apps and files and folder structure. it is not tecnically a clone because system partitions and such will be reset to the appropriate size for the size of the SSD but it serves the same purpose as a clone. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual, which you will sorely need:

Manual

Solid-state drive (128-GB, M2, SATA3, supporting TLC)  809839-001

It is a SATA-III M.2 SSD as is the Adata you want to install. It will work. 

The Manual does not provide a lot of guidance. Just follow the instructions for replacing the hard drive and look for the M.2 drive in there. 

This is not a simple procedure, be careful in there. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the manual most helpful.  I am comfortable changing the SSD M.2 but not sure how I can clone the replacement SSD M.2 with the contents of the existing SSD as I have no way of connecting to both drives in order to clone them.  At present I have cloned the existing SSD to a conventional SSD via USB but as the laptop will not boot from this device even though I have altered the BIOS setting to allow booting from a USB device, I can't see how to overcome the problem.  Or am I missing a trick via HP Recovery media?

Many thanks.

Jc

HP Recommended

What I would do is get an external hard drive and use it to create a Windows backup with system image. Then put in the new SSD blank and when you start up the Windows installer go to advanced options and use install from system image and let Windows install from there. A system image with full backup will replace all your apps and files and folder structure. it is not tecnically a clone because system partitions and such will be reset to the appropriate size for the size of the SSD but it serves the same purpose as a clone. 

HP Recommended

That's brilliant and thanks for the prompt advice.  As soon as I get the new M2 which should arrive in a couple of days I shall give it a go.  If I have any problems I shall open a new thread  and have marked this one as solved in the meantime.  Once again thanks for the excellent service.

Jc

HP Recommended

You did me no favors marking your own post as the "Solution" if that is what you are thinking but glad to have been of assistance. It is customary to mark the answer from the person helping you as Solution. 

HP Recommended

Sorry, not intended.  How can I put it right?

Jc

HP Recommended

Use the options tab at the upper right of the post you marked solution. I think you can say "not solution" then you can mark a different post as solution. 

HP Recommended

Done.  Something else I learnt today!

Jc

HP Recommended

+Final update: the  SSD arrived and after a couple goes due to being confused by the options everything went according to plan and I now have plenty of SSD space again.

Once again many thanks.

Jc

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.