Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 20-B323W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

this computer was given to me running win 10.  tried to do a reset, but for some reason it failed, so i did a factory reset that brpght me back to win 8.  did all the updates, finally updated to 8.1 after many failures.  did the win 10 upgrade,  and am right now doing a clean install from an ISO DVD.  i then figured, maybe i need to update the BIOS, drivers, etc.  however, HP is apparently not supporting ANY win 10 drivers, etc. for this machine.  is there any advice, help or tips anyone can suggest?

thanks for any assistance or advice that can be offered

circe801

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking at the support page for your PC, I only see driver support through Windows 8.1, and the last BIOS update is on the W8 support page, which I don't recommend running on W10 if you haven't installed it already.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-20-b300-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/539...

What that means is that HP is not supporting that model PC for W10 at all.

Sometimes you can use the W8 or 8.1 drivers on W10 for any devices that may need drivers.

I've used Vista drivers on some of my older HP PC's running W10, and they worked just fine.

I have an old HP dc7800 business desktop and W10 installed a generic audio driver, which worked OK, but there was a popping sound from the speakers everytime I started up the PC.

However the W7 audio driver from the dc7800's support page worked better than the one that W10 natively installed and installed the audio control panel, and the popping sound from the speakers was gone.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would be baffled too, as your W10 installation media should have worked.

Now, in order to boot from a DVD in your machine, since it originally came with Windows 8, you need to go into the BIOS and enable legacy mode and disable secure boot.

See this link for more info...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945/

That would be the only reason I can think of as to why the DVD isn't working.

You can also make a W10 bootable usb installation flash drive from the link below and see if that works...

You would need a blank 4 GB or greater usb flash drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended

hi, paul.  must've missed your reply before i edited my post.  dvd worked fine after a few tries.  all is well, except for the lack of support re: drivers and possible bios update.  i've used HP pcs for years--though they, like many mfrs., seem to care a lot about you under warranty, but not much subsequently.  this, however, is the first time there is NO support whatsoever--unless i'm missing something... thanks for the reply, though.  maybe you can offer some other info??

HP Recommended

hi, paul.  must've missed your reply before i edited my post.  dvd worked fine after a few tries.  all is well, except for the lack of support re: drivers and possible bios update.  i've used HP pcs for years--though they, like many mfrs., seem to care a lot about you from sale to end of warranty, but not much subsequently.  this, however, is the first time there is NO support whatsoever--unless i'm missing something... thanks for the reply, though.  maybe you can offer some other info??

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking at the support page for your PC, I only see driver support through Windows 8.1, and the last BIOS update is on the W8 support page, which I don't recommend running on W10 if you haven't installed it already.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-20-b300-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/539...

What that means is that HP is not supporting that model PC for W10 at all.

Sometimes you can use the W8 or 8.1 drivers on W10 for any devices that may need drivers.

I've used Vista drivers on some of my older HP PC's running W10, and they worked just fine.

I have an old HP dc7800 business desktop and W10 installed a generic audio driver, which worked OK, but there was a popping sound from the speakers everytime I started up the PC.

However the W7 audio driver from the dc7800's support page worked better than the one that W10 natively installed and installed the audio control panel, and the popping sound from the speakers was gone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.