Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
probook 6550b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trying to upgrade memory in a Probook 6550b. Do both modules have to be the same size, or can I add a 4GB module to the existing 2GB module? Not sure if that's the problem, the laptop keeps rebooting after adding the 4Gb module. Even if I install the 4Gb by itself in the main slot under the keyboard, it keep rebooting. I'm trying both Hynix HMT451S6DFR8A (4GB 1Rx8 PC3L - 12800S) and Kingston KNWMX1-ETBS15476KU4X (same specs as the first).

Thanx

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The 6550b and other HP notebooks with the 1st gen Intel Core processors are very finicky about memory. I pulled up an image of both the 4 gig modules you are trying and both are high density (4 black blocks on the side of the RAM module). These models demand low density memory, 8 black blocks on the side for modules larger than 2 gigs. 

I sometimes see people get away with 2 x 2 of high density and have even been shown that HP shipped the laptop with 2 gigs of the high density, but we have answered dozens of inquiries from people who run into a brick wall trying to upgrade to 6 or 8 gigs using high density modules. If you install a low density 4 gig module I can pretty well assure you it will work. 

Also you really want to use 1.5 volt memory not 1.35 volt. While all 1.35 volt can also run at 1.5 volt it is not ideal. The laptop is designed to run DDR3-1333 1.5 volt low density SO-DIMM modules up to 2 x 4 gig for 8 gigs total. 

Post back with any further questions. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. Haven't had problems with chip density since the DDR1 days, didn't know it still was an issue.

HP Recommended

Only on the 1st gens...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.