Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would like to make my laptop faster (RAM) and increase the disk space. What are my options?

Here are my  specs:

HP ENVY 17t-j100 Quad Edition (CTO Notebook PC)

-• Windows 8.1 Pro 64
-• 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ Processor
-• NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
-• 17.3-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080) Non touch
-• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
-• 24GB flash Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
-• 2TB 5400 rpm Dual Hard Drive
-• 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Batteries
-• Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
-• Backlit Keyboard
-• HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
-• 802.11b/g/n 2x2 WLAN and Bluetooth(R) [2x2]

Thank for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is not a lot of upgrade headroom...you are very close to the top of the curve. You might consider 16 gigs of RAM but for many people that is disappointing as 8 is plenty and if you are not fully using 8, going to 16 will not make a noticeable difference. 

The processor can be upgraded to an i7-4900MQ to provide another .1 ghz which is not justified for the cost. Same for the video. There is a motherboard with the nVidia 750M video but it is not a lot better than the 740 you already have and the cost of a new motherboard would be very high.

The single best upgrade you can do is to remove the mechanical hard drive and the 24 gig flash mSATA disk and install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. Samsung Evo 850. You would have to remove one of the 2 x 1 TB 5400 rpm drives but that would be no great loss as the difference in boot time and application launch time will be very, very noticeable. 

Service Manual

Post back for any more help.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

There is not a lot of upgrade headroom...you are very close to the top of the curve. You might consider 16 gigs of RAM but for many people that is disappointing as 8 is plenty and if you are not fully using 8, going to 16 will not make a noticeable difference. 

The processor can be upgraded to an i7-4900MQ to provide another .1 ghz which is not justified for the cost. Same for the video. There is a motherboard with the nVidia 750M video but it is not a lot better than the 740 you already have and the cost of a new motherboard would be very high.

The single best upgrade you can do is to remove the mechanical hard drive and the 24 gig flash mSATA disk and install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. Samsung Evo 850. You would have to remove one of the 2 x 1 TB 5400 rpm drives but that would be no great loss as the difference in boot time and application launch time will be very, very noticeable. 

Service Manual

Post back for any more help.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.