Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp pavilion 15 n242se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a hp pavilion 15 n242se with 8GB of RAM
I want to upgrade to 16GB of RAM
Can you help me please?

I don't know what is the best type of RAM to My device.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

See p. 42 of the Manual here:

Manual

The specs say your laptop came with 4 gigs, how does it now have 8? There are two slots and the Manual says it can take 12 gigs, a 4 gig module and an 8 gig module but we have figured out here it can take 16 gigs or 2 x 8. What you need to get kind of depends on what you already have. If you have a single 8 gig module I would try to find the same.  If you have 2 x 4 gig you have to replace them anyway and this is the specified 8 gig memory module:

8 GB memory module PC3L 12800 1600Mhz Shared 693374-001 for which this would be compatible:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=U...

One thing I will add is that many computer users are disappointed with the 8 gig to 16 gig upgrade. 8 gigs is a lot of memory and you may not even be using the entire 8 gigs so that upgrading will have very little effect on performance. But in your case the upgrade is easy to do and whether to upgrade is your call. Post back if you have any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

See p. 42 of the Manual here:

Manual

The specs say your laptop came with 4 gigs, how does it now have 8? There are two slots and the Manual says it can take 12 gigs, a 4 gig module and an 8 gig module but we have figured out here it can take 16 gigs or 2 x 8. What you need to get kind of depends on what you already have. If you have a single 8 gig module I would try to find the same.  If you have 2 x 4 gig you have to replace them anyway and this is the specified 8 gig memory module:

8 GB memory module PC3L 12800 1600Mhz Shared 693374-001 for which this would be compatible:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=U...

One thing I will add is that many computer users are disappointed with the 8 gig to 16 gig upgrade. 8 gigs is a lot of memory and you may not even be using the entire 8 gigs so that upgrading will have very little effect on performance. But in your case the upgrade is easy to do and whether to upgrade is your call. Post back if you have any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.