Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I got my HP 4520s laptop second handed but I know the previous owner very well so I trusted it and bought the probook but since then I have stumbled across some problems mainly with the battry that has been replaced ( I can verify this in HP support assistant) but the battery has been behaving werid, first of al windows never gave me the low battery pop up in the right hand lower corner of the screen, but since a day or two the battery icon in the lower right of my screen usually gives a reading of about 30-40% and the my laptop shuts of, goes into sleep mode, then turns back on and windows asks me to log back into my account, at this point the battery is indicating 0% and it charges to what I beleive a normal rate, please somebody help me how to fix this??? (the test battery option isn't available in the diagnostics menu that can be acessed by hitting esc on startup)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ThijsV wrote:

I got my HP 4520s laptop second handed but I know the previous owner very well so I trusted it and bought the probook but since then I have stumbled across some problems mainly with the battry that has been replaced ( I can verify this in HP support assistant) but the battery has been behaving werid, first of al windows never gave me the low battery pop up in the right hand lower corner of the screen, but since a day or two the battery icon in the lower right of my screen usually gives a reading of about 30-40% and the my laptop shuts of, goes into sleep mode, then turns back on and windows asks me to log back into my account, at this point the battery is indicating 0% and it charges to what I beleive a normal rate, please somebody help me how to fix this??? (the test battery option isn't available in the diagnostics menu that can be acessed by hitting esc on startup)

Hi,

Use some third party testing software such as:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Battery-Eater-Pro.shtml

4 of 5 stars looks good. 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

BIOS enhancements: Fixes an issue where the notebook battery does not perform properly at the end of service life.

This battery could be new but it doesn't mean it's in a top condition. I suggest to upgade the BIOS to the F.21 release.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@ThijsV wrote:

Hi,

Use some third party testing software such as:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Battery-Eater-Pro.shtml

4 of 5 stars looks good. 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

BIOS enhancements: Fixes an issue where the notebook battery does not perform properly at the end of service life.

This battery could be new but it doesn't mean it's in a top condition. I suggest to upgade the BIOS to the F.21 release.

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the reply, for the BIOS update I'm not so sure since I'm running windows 7 ultimate x64 on this laptop  but the diagnose programs certainly helped! in the mean time I also found that the voltage of cel 1 in my battery is 0 mV while the rest givaes a different reading (this depent on wether the batterij is charged or not) does this mean that the battery is broken? ( A screenshot won't help you since I'm dutch) but is cel 1 supposed to give o mV or something?

HP Recommended

@ThijsV wrote:

Thanks very much for the reply, for the BIOS update I'm not so sure since I'm running windows 7 ultimate x64 on this laptop  but the diagnose programs certainly helped! in the mean time I also found that the voltage of cel 1 in my battery is 0 mV while the rest givaes a different reading (this depent on wether the batterij is charged or not) does this mean that the battery is broken? ( A screenshot won't help you since I'm dutch) but is cel 1 supposed to give o mV or something?

I believe that the version of Windows is not important and any BIOS version (for the laptop) for Windows 7 x64 should work on the laptop. I'm not familiar with laptop batteries and how it works but my guess is that the battery is faulty. Are you sure that the battery is compatible with the laptop? My cousin have bought a laptop battery from amazon for Dv9700 series laptops and it didn't work on his laptop (Dv9705ea). I had to buy a new battery using the right part number from the service guide.

HP Recommended

thanks that worked! how do I mark your reply as solution? :$

HP Recommended

@Thijzzzzz wrote:

thanks that worked! how do I mark your reply as solution? :$

There should be some button Accept as a solution or something like that on my your on my posts

HP Recommended

found it! was on the wrong account 😛

HP Recommended

@ThijsV wrote:

found it! was on the wrong account 😛

Nice one.:)

HP Recommended

I have same problem with my hp probook 4520s it works perfectly fine but i just change two times the battery but it doesnot prolong more then 6 to 8 months and got dead again and again. I m getting rid of it rightnow. Can any body tell me whats the issue with my laptop is it with my motherboard something making it dead or is it bios?

How bios effect the battery? Please let me know because i m still confuse what to do buy a new one or before buying a new one show i callibrate my laptop or see my bios to make it update. I m amazed what is the problem making my battery dead again and again.

Please can any body tell me please i really love my laptop because i donot wana leave this laptop Ö)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.