Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Sad to report problem is back. Thought we might have narrowed it to the drive, but I guess not, unless all these drives have issues. Any else having issues, please post drive model so we can rule out this drive. Anyone find a solution, PLEASE post, Thanks.

HP Recommended

Anyone??? Getting real annoying, common problem but no solution??? Ordered a different model, aftermarket drive just for the heck of it, be here on 12/27...but I bet the problem will still be there...we'll see...

HP Recommended

I tried disabling the dvd drive and it still happened so I suspected that it was not windows related. It occurred to me that there was a bios upgrade that automatically happened about when the problem showed up. I rolled back the bios from F.13 (I think) to the previous (F.02) that came with my computer. So far so good. I'll check back if the problem comes back.

Roll back is easy to perform in the boot options.

HP Recommended

Still no popping! Looks like it may be resolved!

HP Recommended

I noticed there was an F.22 update to the bios. I tried it and it seems good too. No popping so far.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update, sounds like you may have identified the problem. I'll give it a try, my BIOS is at F.13 same as yours was.

Happy New Year

HP Recommended

The bios had nothing to do with my issue. My drive was opening since the day I bought the computer, updated all drivers and bios to the latest, still happened, the bios F.22 came out, updated bios again, same problem. Called HP, they sent me a new drive, same model number mind you, and it too had the same problem. So, I went ahead and ordered a new Panasonic Blu-Ray burner from Amazon for 65.00. Installed it on the 27th, all problems are gone, and now I even have Blu-Ray capabilities as well. Downloaded Power DVD from HP's driver page, installed fine, and now I can watch Blu-Ray's as well as DVD's, plus it is a Blu-Ray burner also, so I have the option of burning Blu-Ray disc's as well. Awesome upgrade for the money, and cured my drive HEADACHE to boot!!!

The problem with the HP drive is this, everytime the computer boots up, or wakes from sleep, or uses any program that needs to access the DVD drive, windows has to "initialize" the drive, which means it basically has to "wake it up"... In doing so, it sends power to the drive to do this, that is why you hear the heads moving in the drive after booting up or waking up from sleep. With the HP drive, that little bit of power was enough to trigger the drive to eject. The tray locking tab on that drive is very small and weak, so everytime the drive "initialized", or "woke up", that was enough to "Pop" the tray out, almost every time. My new drive locks very tightly, so the "initializing" has no effect on ejecting the tray. I'm so glad I figured this out because I was ready to smash this thing to pieces...lol

HP Recommended

I purchased my HP Pavilion dv7-7126nr Entertainment Notebook PC in October and also has the same problem. the CD/DVD bay keeps opening at random. The model number is DVD-RAM UJ8B1 SCSI. Besides HP sending the same drive as a replacement has anyone else resolved the problem purchasing your own?

HP Recommended

Read my post right above yours...

HP Recommended

My F.22 started popping again but not quite as bad. I like the sound of jheebs's solution especially since I would like the latest firmware.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.