Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

If the current BIOS update if giving you guys this issue follow this document.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

THX

HP Recommended

The drive on my laptop was popping open 10 times a day. I tried disabling the drive, uninstalling and re-installing and updaing BIOS, all to no effect.

Having read all the posts here I didn't think that replacing the drive with the same model would do any good, HOWEVER..... I called HP and got them to send me a replacement drive and the problem is fixed. I have been using the laptop non-stop for 5 days and the drive hasn't opened once!

Maybe I was lucky and got a drive with a strong locking mechanism but I would recommend to others to try a free replacement drive as a first step.

Drive model for the original and the replacement was UJ8B1

HP Recommended

Glad to hear it! HP sent me a new drive also, (same model you have), but it was actually worse than the original, that's why I bought my own. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

HP Recommended

HP sent me a replacement drive under warranty and it was obviously physically different than the original. I swapped it in about a month ago and I haven't had a problem since.

HP Recommended

Mine does the same thing.  took it in thinking it was malware or virus,  that did not work,  glad to hear you all went thru all of the steps to narrow it down to replacing it.   I might as well do the same, before I break it off.    How about your finger print scanner.  did that quit working as well?

and last concern,  is I use the F5 key allot,  but have to use the 'ctr' key,  since it is the alternative function.  Is there a way to switch that, so I can just hit F5 to refresh?

HP Recommended

Since I recently had my Pavilion M7-1015dx serviced for a defective USB port - the one directly adjacent to the CD-drive, the drive has exhibited this annoying behavior of popping open at seemingly random intervals. Each session begins with the drive popping open upon boot, then anytime a media session (audio/video) of any kind on the HDD is begun, it begins a series of sporadic instances of popping open. HP flashed the BIOS online, but to no avail - the problem persists. Ir can pop open as often as 15 times during an hour's use, but the number varies from 0 to this upward limit of 15 or so. This  unit has been serviced now 4 times for various problems, even though I have exercised extreme care in my possession. I know other owners of this model who are problem-free. I love this unit's features - it answers my needs perfectly, aside from these service issues. I am beginning to wonder if this is a "lemon" unit - not the model, but this particular unit. I am reluctant to send it away yet again for service, since this disrupts my business each time. How may I resolve this - is unit replacement an option? It is still under warranty until October 2013. I am somewhat disillusioned now with HP now given this unit's multiple issues, though online chat has provided ready, if ineffective advice. This unit is one of many HP laptops I have purchased, and the only one with this level of unresolved service issues.

HP Recommended

Having the same annoying problem with CD/ DVD drive popping out every so often (TOO often!) on my G-6 laptop. Realize this isn't a top of the line computer, but this is an annoying problem that reminds you of it's presence every few minutes! I've tried every software fix I could think of - still popping. Will have to wait to purchase a different drive. Maybe I'll use a piece of tape to keep it shut. Interesting that the USB port next to the drive didn't work for someone else in this forum (above). I've noticed that USB port isn't working on my computer, either!

HP Recommended

Hello Valtitude.  I understand your DVD drive keeps opening.

I have seen a similar issue in the past which was caused by malicious software (either malware or viruses).  Have you tried scanning your computer using your anti-virus and an anti-malware application?

If you do not have an anti-virus I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials and for malware I suggest MalwareBytes.

Let me know the results.  Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I have tried both, and that did not help mine.   I really think the latch just wears out.   I am going to try to get mine fixed as soon as I can afford it.  (replacing the drive)

HP Recommended

Good afternoon jrschwetz.

It is quite possible that the issue is hardware related and will require replacing the drive.  However, I do have a few other suggestions to try.

This could also be caused by a build-up of dust or debris inside the drive.  Have you tried cleaning it out with canned air?

Also, since you're already talking about replacing the drive it would be worth it to open the notebook up and verify that the drive's connection to the motherboard is secure.  If the connection was loose it could cause it to activate sporadically as well.  I can provide you with some helpful instructions for disassembling the notebook if you provide me with your product number.  This document can show you where it is located.

Have a great day.  I'll keep watching for your response.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.