Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My HP dv7 2185dx running Windows 7 will not recognize second hard drive, bios recognizes it, Intel Rapid storage recognizes it.

Primary hard drive is a 1TB, in install a second 500GB hard drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Shutdown the notebook and disconnect the 2nd HDD.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

When windows has reloaded, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

Chipset Driver - Windows 7.

When this has completed, shutdown the notebook.

Reconnect the 2nd HDD, then start the notebook and let Windows fully load for a couple of minutes before checking if the drive appears in the lower half of the Disk Management window.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Hold down the Windows Key and press R.  Into the Run Box type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.  Click Disk Management in the left pane and let the drives load up. 

Does the 2nd HDD show here?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

No the disk does not show in the disk management window.

In the Intel Rapid Storage window, the second drive is listed but it does not ahve a port assigned to it.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Shutdown the notebook and disconnect the 2nd HDD.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

When windows has reloaded, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

Chipset Driver - Windows 7.

When this has completed, shutdown the notebook.

Reconnect the 2nd HDD, then start the notebook and let Windows fully load for a couple of minutes before checking if the drive appears in the lower half of the Disk Management window.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This worked, thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hey, how did you get the system to recognize a 1TB drive for the primary?  I am trying to upgrade my 500GB but cannot load any OS.

HP Recommended

Hello!

I'm having the same issue of a new second hard drive not being seen by the OS (Win 7 Pro), but my laptop is a DV7-4087cl.  I wanted to see if the chipset driver you listed is applicable to this model, or not (before i do somthing inadvertantly stupid!)

Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.