Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My product number is E1P05AV. I've had this laptop for almost a year now and have had the hard drive replaced because I thought that it was the cause of this sound. As of right now I have an ssd, so I know that it is not the culprit. I've done some research and came to three possible things that it could be. This is in order of what I think is the most likely cause.

1. A coil whine in the psu

2. Something wrong with the gpu

3. Something wrong with the fan

Here are some conditions for the noise:

It happens when scrolling in web pages or dragging and highlighting on the desktop. It also happens when the laptop is loading something. I have concluded that the sound does not come from the speakers whatsoever. The noise is constant when it occurs.

I hope that someone could shed some light on this subject and help me come to a conclusion.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @cck979 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your HP ENVY 15t-j100 Notebook and issue with a noise coming from within.  I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. Not rollback.

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that could need updating.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@Mrstenter wrote:

Hi @cck979 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your HP ENVY 15t-j100 Notebook and issue with a noise coming from within.  I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. Not rollback.

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that could need updating.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks.

I did what you said and reloaded the bios as well as updating everything that the hp support assisstant prompted me to, but the sound still persists. Is there anything else that you would suggest? I have a warranty on this laptop, so I could just send it in. I don't know if it could be sent in for something like this though. Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

Hi @ck979 ,

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link to get the support number for your region. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have a brand new HP Envy 17t (Product number: M9X67AV_1) and it does exactly the same thing!

This laptop is 2 months old and hardly been used.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.