Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 4002dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I bought an Spectre x360 about a month ago with an i5 processor, and lately I've been hearing a consant buzzing noise from the fan area. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I suggest contacting HP for warranty service. This is not a common issue.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Spectre-13-4000-x360-Convertible-PC/7527520/model...

It is better to get this repair taken care of while the notebook is still covered under warranty. 

Check your warranty status Here.

The problem could be the power distribution\charging circuitry on the systemboard or the fan & heat pipe thermal energy transfer devices.  Capacitors that are failing can make squealing noises.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

61 REPLIES 61
HP Recommended

Yeah! Disregard Everything I Have Said

Here What You need To Do

Call HP

For The US 1-800-474-6836

And If You Are Outside The US Click The Link Below And Then Select Your Country For The P/N For HP

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply! But how can I be sure this is a fan problem and not a PSU problem? The connection port is also located near that area.

HP Recommended

Here What You need To Do

Call HP

And If You Are Outside The US Click The Link Below And Then Select Your Country For The P/N For HP

HP Recommended

Don't open up your notebook. It is still under warranty!

If the power adapter is OK, then the LED will be amber when charging and white when the notebook is fully charged.

If you are hearing an unusual buzzing noise, then contact HP for warranty service.

Read this article at the How-To-Geek

http://www.howtogeek.com/219016/how-do-you-hush-a-non-hdd-non-fan-related-buzzing-sound-on-a-laptop/

There are a couple of reasons you may be hearing a buzzing noise.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Here What You need To Do

Call HP

HP Recommended

Is it coming from under the laptop, near one of the hinges? Does it sound like someone is trying to communicate with you in morse code? I'm curious if you are having the same issue as me.

HP Recommended

Okay, so I'm not the only one experiencing this... I have the i7 model and I can hear a, well...  crackling buzzing noise, I guess, coming from the fan opening when the fan is not running (it's always there but you can hardly hear it when the fan is running). It's barely noticeable in daily use, but in really quiet environments like in bed at night it sounds like my Spectre x360 had a (whisper-quiet) mechanical HDD that's constantly reading or writing data. This noise changes when I touch the screen (adds another really really quiet buzzing noise which stops again as soon as I take my finger off the screen). It definitely sounds like a PSU issue. What to do now?

Aside from that I'm also experiencing slight issues with the touchscreen, where scrolling swipes will often open links, in Chrome as well as Firefox. I've been using Android tablets and phones for years and that's never really been an issue on other devices.

Also, when in tablet mode, on Windows' login screen, when I touch the password prompt, the keyboard comes up, and without me doing anything it immediately slides back down. Sometimes that happens two or three times before the keyboard stays on screen and I can enter my password. Really weird.

Maybe my touchscreen issues are directly related to the buzzing noise?

Greetings from Germany!

HP Recommended

On closer inspection, yeah, it seems to be the loudest between the hinges. And "like someone communicating with you in morse-code" is spot-on, I'd say.

HP Recommended
I thought it might have something to do with the wireless adapter, thinking that the somewhat random sounds corresponded to data packets being sent and received, until I realized that the sound disappears entirely when the screen turns off, even though the computer is not in standby mode.

As you said, it doesn't bother me unless I'm in a whisper quiet environment but it is driving me crazy that I don't know why a monitor would generate such a noise. I wonder if it would be easy to fix.

The worst part about it is that it's such a minor issue on an otherwise excellent machine, that I don't feel that an RMA is worth the effort. (especially because it could be a universal issue)
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.