Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hello

My laptop is an HP pavillion dv6z-1100, its running a 64 bit version of windows 7 home premium, and recently, it stopped booting up succesfully. While being used, suddenly the screen went dead (without warning) and the computer shut down. Upon attempting to turn it back on (while being plugged into the ac adapter) the computer would power up, the screen would stay dead, and the num/caps lock lights would blink regularly at an interval of about 3 seconds. 

I had been getting a few notifications that my battery was below optimal capacity. Having had that error before, I simply disregarded it and used the cord for the majority of my laptop use. My family has a similar laptop which I took the battery from, swaped it for mine, and still couldn't power up. 

Any suggestions? I'm sure it's out of warantee. 

I've tried all the simple fixes, trying hard resets and such. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Do you have problems and your laptop won't tuning On, Power Light Blinking?

If the computer does not power, the LED lights not flashing, and the display is black, you can perform one or more of the following actions to resolve the no power issue:

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage

2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector

3. Start computer using the battery only

4. Check that the lid switch moves freely

5. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning.

* If the battery does not accept the charge or the notebook does not turn on without the AC adapter, contact HP to order a replacement battery.

* If the LEDs do not glow, and there are no other indicators of power being available to the computer, contact HP for technical assistance in troubleshooting a potential problem with the AC power connection or the system board.

* If the LEDs blink, or the computer beeps, but it does not start, go to HP Notebook PCs - 🎥 Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot.

* If the LEDs glow but the computer does not start on either battery or AC power, go to Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

I hope this helps.

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you match the sequence of 'blinks' to those shown in the table below.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

well, it blinks once, turns off, then takes a few seconds to start again. Does this correspond with CPU failure? And if it does, how much does that cost to replace? 

HP Recommended

Hi,

It would seem to indicate a non-functional CPU.

The best advice I can give is to take the notebook to a local computer repair shop and get an estimate ( and a confirmation of the diagnosis ) for the repair.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

actually i did forget to mention that I was using a new ac adapter. However, i swaped it out for a few others that i'm sure work (my family has something like 3 hp laptops, all with similar ac adapters) . Could this be an issue? The blinks are fairly even, so I'm not sure which sequence to associate with. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for a full minute.  Plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ) and see if the notebook will start.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

i mean, i probably only held it down for 20 seconds, but i did do that

HP Recommended

Hi,

In that case I'm fairly certain this is a Hardware issue - try to find a small shop specializing in computer repairs ( rather than a large company with in-house repair facilities ) and see what they suggest the cost may be.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I also have this issue.  Although, after 50-100 attempts I can get the computer to boot.  I've seen that this problem is pretty widespread.  Will replacing the processor actually solve the problem?  Also, is it HP's policy not to recall defective hardware, as it seems to be a continual and growing problem with your laptops?  

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same problem.  This is the third time this has happened.  The first time it happened I had only owned the computer for 1 week.  I almost took it back, then the monitor came on...not sure how.  It's still a pretty new computer.  What is going on?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.