Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Went to bed the other night with our computer working and now it will not start up. I get a black screen and blink code 2 from the Cap lock and Num lock when I power on, but don't know how to fix BIOS without turning on the computer. Can you help? the laptop is only a little over a year old.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello.  I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your computer  I do value you as a customer and will do my best to help you with this issue of your computer not starting up.  The first thing that I would try is a Hard reset.  This is something that you do when your system does not boot into windows, or some devices just stop working.  Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook and remove the battery from the battery compartment.  Then press and hold down the power button for at least 15 seconds and then put the battery back in and plug the adapter back into the notebook and press the power button to turn the notebook back on.  Make sure that the adapter is not damaged and that the AC pin light is on.  If the AC pin light in on then go into your BIOS by F10.  If you are able to get into the BIOS then you want to reset the defaults ( press F10 then enter..F9..then F10 and enter ).  And see if that resolves the issue. If that does not work then you can run the diagnostics test from the BIOS.  Run the short test ( primary disc test ) and the long test ( memory )  to make sure everything is okay with your harddrive.  If it fails or gives you an error message then reset the hard drive and go back into the BIOS and run the 2 test again and see if it gives you an error message.  Try these steps and see what happens.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
...Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question...
HP Recommended
I have tried the hard reset and it did not work. My screen is black when it powers up and doesn't do anything except the cap lock and nun lock blink twice.
HP Recommended

Hi, I am having the exact same problem as PCMINDY. I have tried the hard reset to no avail. I have also removed and replaced the memory cards & hard drive. I still get the same two blink 'Cap Lock' & 'Num Lock' code when i power on my laptop. I can hear the fan running and a drive spinning briefly but the screen remains blank and power light remains on. I cannot access the Bios by hitting F10...

My laptop model is a Compaq CQ61 330SA

Please help!

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that you are still having the same issue when you did the Hard Reset.  Did you try to run the Short test ( primary disc ) and Long test ( memory )  in the BIOS to make sure that your hardware is okay?

HP Recommended

Hello.  I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your notebook not starting up.  I do value you as a customer and will do my best to help you resolve your issue.  You have done a lot of the troubleshooting that I would have asked you to do.  With the Cap and Num lock blinking twice and a black screen it appears that your BIOS might be corrupted.  And you will have to send your notebook in for repair.  Are you still covered under warranty?

HP Recommended

Hi again. In my case (Napalm69) I have no warranty, it ran out a couple of months ago. Is there nothing else i can try to solve the problem?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

My (PCDIEHL) warrenty also ran out a few months ago. I tried to replace the hard drive and that did not help.

HP Recommended

I am not sure what you are referring to as short test or long test. I have a black screen so can't do anything on the computer.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, is there a way of a user reinstalling the bios without having to take it in for repair?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.