Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hello!

I have a Pavilion dv6 laptop, which runs on Windows 7.

My laptop started acting up last night... I was using it yesterday, and then had it on sleep mode for a short while, then when I went to wake it up in order to turn it off, it froze...

The login screen that usually comes up after the computer goes to sleep came up, but I could not move the mouse at all.  I tried opening task manager, but it wouldn't come up.  I didn't want my computer to be stuck in that mode all night, so the only thing I could think of at that point was to force it to shut down by pressing the power button.

Thankfully, it shut down, but when I tried to turn it back on this morning, it seemed to be stuck: the lights on the power button, caps lock key, and the wireless connection key were on, and the fan was on, but the screen was totally black.  I waited a few minutes to see if it just had to take some time to do whatever it needed to do if it was trying to start up, but it kept doing the same thing.  After a few minutes, I touched the power button and it made the noise it usually makes when it comes out of sleep mode, but nothing happened with the screen... it just seemed "stuck".  So I just pressed the power button again to shut it down, and I am just leaving it that way for now.

I'm not really sure what caused this... The only reason for this that I can think of was that there were multiple programs running when it went to sleep..??

So....... I have no idea what to do!

I usually try to take good care of my laptop, but I just finished a semester of school and haven't had time to do any cleaning up/organizing yet... This is the first time this problem has occurred.  I'm really hoping that my documents that are on the computer won't get deleted because of this issue....

Anyway, if anybody has any insight on this issue, I would greatly appreciate it!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's always worth trying a Hard Reset first as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ) and see if the notebook will start.

If the above doesn't help, can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your dv6 series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

109 REPLIES 109
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's always worth trying a Hard Reset first as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ) and see if the notebook will start.

If the above doesn't help, can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your dv6 series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

OK, I will try doing a hard reset and let you know how it goes!

HP Recommended

I tried the hard reset, and it worked!  I'm so glad!

Thank you so much!! 😄

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's working :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have an HP DV9420us. It was operating fine and when I did a shut down, it took longer than normal. Today I get all of the blue lights at the top of the keyboard but a black screen. No blinking Numlock or Caps lock led's. I tried the disconnect the ac, remove battery, hold the power button for a minute and tha=en plug in just he ac,but get the same problem.  I tried a different ac adapter, thats not it either.

Any Ideas???

Pete

HP Recommended

Hello Pete_M,

I understand you are stating your computer comes on but it doesn’t display an image on the screen, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

Do another hard reset:

1.       Remove battery, AC adapter and all other connections

2.       Press and hold power button for 30 seconds

If you have access to an external monitor hook a VGA cable up from the computer to the monitor and power on the monitor to see if you get an image on the external monitor.

Below is a picture of the VGA cable that I am referring to if you not sure.

vga.PNG

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

that didn't work for me.  i got 3 HP laptops and they all are doing the same thing.  funny thing is they seem to all started at the same time--couple of days and weeks apart.  i have done enough research online trying to bring the screen back up, no luck.  external display doesn't even work.

i'm giving up on HP, love the full keyboard and wide display but those days are over for me.  it just doesn't worth the headaches and pain of waking up to a bad--no display computer but sure it will boot....

loving the Asus and Samsung laptops now.

HP Recommended
I have tried external monitors with both my VGA cable and hdmi. I tried all the commands to extend, duplicate and projector only and a blank screen on all. I did more research and even though I bought his laptop two years ago, it has Nvii graphics in it and there was a recall on these. I can't believe that HP would leave the laptops outerwear knowing there is a problem with the heat sync on the graphics card. This is h last HP for me, I'm getting an ASUS.
HP Recommended
you got that right. i'm not recommending anymore HP to family and friend either.

what upsets me is that i custom built the 3 i bought and paid over $2000 each. they didn't last more than 2.5 year.

i slave the drives so i don't lose my data. the laptops are collecting dust under a desk now..
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.