Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@blakepearl 

If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Insert the Rescue CD.  Select Boot options ( usually f9 ), use the arrow keys to select the CD/DVD drive and hit enter.  You may also get a prompt to 'Press any key to continue' - do this if asked.

When loaded, select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt.  When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the Rescue CD and try rebooting the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Same thing just happened to my laptop and this worked for me too. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Assist on a different twist, please.  I have no response when pushing the power button.  Have white light at power plug with out battery, amber with battery.  No other lights at all.  Have tried 'hard reset'.   No noises indicative of HD or fan.  thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Mattooner

I will be happy to help you.

I understand your Pavilion Dv6 will not fully power on.

You can try and access the bios to run a hardware test.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

I have had this issue before myself and this resolved my issue for me.

I would recommend removing the battery from the laptop. Wait at least 2 hours then reinsert the battery and try powering up the laptop again.If it doesn't then  wait 72 hours which should reset the cmos battery. Then try powering up the laptop again.

You can try and access the bios to run a hardware test.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks, but it's not offering any screen image at all on attempt to start up.  Very black screen. No cursor, nothing. Again, no HD noises, no nothing.  

HP Recommended

Hi Mattooner

I would still try the steps I mentioned before. This has happened to me previously and it worked.

There are several Pavilion dv6 models, please provide the full name of the model of laptop.

If your laptop is connected to a docking station, disconnect it to verify it's not the cause of your issue.

While troubleshooting this issue, disconnect any external peripherals such as an external mouse, USB devices,  to make sure they're not the cause of your issue.

Did you update any new hardware on the laptop or update the bios before this happened?

I am including this url for troubleshooting the computer not starting up.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443371

Since you are getting a white light at power plug I don't believe it would be a issue with the ac adapter.

It would be a issue with the power supply.

Please provide the full name of the laptop, model number so I will be able to provide you with documentation on how to change out the power supply.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I went throught the guide for trouble shooting no startup, it seems that the power adapter is OK, particularly since now the battery is charged up (amber light went to white).  The steps led me to "HP repair required".  I believe you are referring to replacing an internal power supply.   If you will send me the link, I'll look at it.  This is a dv6-6135dx, LW262UA#ABA.  Thanks.  I could still try the 72 hour wait, but I have my doubts.

HP Recommended

Hi  Mattooner

Yes I would still try the 72 hour wait.

This is the url for the manual of the Pavilion dv6.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252.pdf

The power supply is the ac adapter which then connects to the motherboard.

When you connect the power supply does the brick  get hot, if not then it isn't allowing the laptop to power up. Then I would replace it.

Try removing the ram and reinserting it again.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00820047

I would try another ac adapter to make sure it is not the issue.

Could also be the motherboard.

If the issue still persists, then call HP Tech Support for further assistance at 1-800-474-6836.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

OK, 

I'm not sure I want to open this thing, so we may be at an end.  Thanks for the tips.

HP Recommended

I have this same problem but with a slight twist, if i start up with power cable on its a black screen, but if i power on with cable out (battery only) it boots up fine and screen is fine, any help on this, its Pavilion dv6?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.