Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4-1030US
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, It has been a while since I had to setup a hard drive with partions, etc. to install an OS.  

I'm hoping someone can assist and point me in the right direction.  Windows 10 came in down off the intenet (without authorizion) and made my system unusable.  At least that is what I beleived at the time.  Come to find out the brightness was dim.  urgh...     

So I removed the hard drive and retrieved my data.  In the mean time, I ordered from HP the "Recovery Kit" on USB.  I reinstalled the hard drive, inserted the USB drive, powered up, hit esc, selected boot options, and booted to the USB.  HP Recovery dialog is displayed, explaining how the process would work. Asked me if I wanted erase all hard drive data, and reset to factory specifications. I selected Yes, and clicked NEXT.  The dialog title "Factory Image Recovery Prepartions" suggests that the USB Recovery is just what I needed!  yay!

The dialog stated,

-Reformating windows partion and gave % complete until done.

-Copying files required to RESTORE Hard Drive and gave % complete until done.

-Restoring files to hard drive

Received Error message

Windows cannot find 'E:\System.sav\util\rStone.exe' make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

I did not type anything, just clicked.  

I clicked OK on the error message.  Then received message Recovery Prepartion is complete and after restart the recovery installtion will begin.  Clicked Continue - removed the USB dive.  Computer restarts and windows loading files is displayed at the bottom and starting windows is displayed...  yay!! 

Received another message that Recovery is Complete - Click finish to restart...  I did that.

Machine re-boots... im waiting... oh so excited... & then BAM!!!

BOOTMGR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DELETE....  

Please help

Thank you in advance!

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I did call and they told me that it was a hardware issue, and that if I wanted to know more, because its out of warenty, I would have to pay $59.  I will go buy an ASUS before I purchase another HP!  AT least the ASUS recovery media works, without a problem, no matter how old the machine.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@MikeNOTHPFAN

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry about the USB recovery stick problem -- but you need to get HP to replace this with one that works.

We can not do that for you, so we have been directed to tell you to contact HP Customer Support, and tell them that the USB Recovery Stick is NEW and not working, and tell them the error message you are seeing.  They are then supposed to send you a new USB Recovery Stick.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I did call and they told me that it was a hardware issue, and that if I wanted to know more, because its out of warenty, I would have to pay $59.  I will go buy an ASUS before I purchase another HP!  AT least the ASUS recovery media works, without a problem, no matter how old the machine.

HP Recommended

@MikeNOTHPFAN You did an excellent job of desrcibing your issue and the details of the failed recovery. Unfortunately we have no magic bullet.

The only thing I might do differently is do Not remove the usb stck after files are copied and the machine needs to reboot-even though the screen may say so. Just allow the reboot with usb still inserted and see if you get different results.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@WAWood,

Do you know, for sure that there could be issues with the recovery media from HP.  I called the day I received the media and the failure occured. I was on the phone for about 45 minutes before anyone answered.  The Service Rep indicated that I had a hardware problems, and that I would need to pay additional monies for additional information.  

The Rep indicated that there was a solution, but that I would have pay for the solution, while a tech walked me through the steps.  

Is there a way to access the recovery media in a different way other than the boot process?  If I had paid and a tech would have me walked through with their guidance, it seems as though a solution would be on the recovery media.

The rep could still not provide any guarantee that a fix would be possible, so I opted to not pay out the additional money.  

Thanks for your suggestions, and any other advise is much appreciated.

Mike 

HP Recommended

You seem pretty tech savvy so this tutorial on rebuiding the BCD may be of value:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

HP Recommended
None the "Bootable devices" that I have created have been able to bring up a start up option for a "safe mode" with command prompt option.

I have discovered several sites that are talking about using these commands demonstrated in the supplied articles.

Thank you.

How do I ensure that my USB device will cause this HP 4 Envy to respond to these types of command options during the boot process, when the bios does not respond, and what seems to override the BIOS startup?

Is there a flash option for the hard drive controllers? During one of my 100 or so startups, there seems to be a raid setup or controller something going on... it was on for several hours and I'm not sure what started it, restarted and still received BOOM MGR error message.

Thank you for your help in understanding this "new" 🙂 tech....

Mike

HP Recommended

Have you tested the hard drive and memory? enter BIOS by tapping F10 key immediately after powering on. Look for Diagnostics and test hdd & memory.

HP Recommended
I have tested the hard drive, but not memory... running it right now.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.