Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP envy 13-d003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had my new laptop for just 10 days thus far and it has frozen on me at least once everyday since I got it. When it freezes, absolutely nothing works, requiring me to perform a hard shutdown by pressing down the power button. 

All drivers are confirmed up to date. I ensured this by using the HP support assistant as well as manually checking my driver versions against those on the hp support driver page. I have performed a complete windows reset but that didn't solve the problem. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally got it somewhat sorted. Having the Task Manager open at all times, I noticed that the data through the WiFi went to  zero for about 3 seconds before the freeze occurred. I then decided to disable the WiFi and connect through my smartphone. No freezing occurred whilst in this state; for about a week.

On reconnecting back to my router, my laptop froze within the hour. The HP support tech said he was aware of certain routers causing printers to freeze so I should try connecting to another. Luckily, I had powerline adapters and a nano router lying about. I connected that up and experienced no freezing for 6 days. On connecting back to the initial router, my laptop froze yet again.

Running a google search found others with the exact problem that was supposedly solved by disabling IPV6 on the WiFi adapter on the laptop. I disable it and have not experienced a freeze for 5 days thus far. 

Fingers crossed, that should be the end of it. I will update my post should any freezing occur again.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. I am sorry for the issues you experience with your new computer.

Let's try to find the culprit:

>> Using the UEFI option, test your computer for hardware failures - test RAM, test disk, system board. Here is how >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

Please, note the results and post them back.

>> Is Windows fully updated ? It may be downloading/installing updates in the background and this may cause some freezing.

Please, check it is fully updated. I am afraid that in Windows 10 there is no way to stop installing updates (stop auto updates) other than bringing the computer offline which is not an option.

>> I need to know what software is installed on your machine and what runs with it.

Download Trend Micro's HiJackThis app:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Save and run the exe file.

1) Click on "Do a scan and save log file" button

After scan, if a log file pops up in Notepad - that is excellent. If not, choose "Save log" button and choose to save the log file somehwere

The log file - open it, choose "Select All" (CTR + A) , then copy it and paste it all here in your next reply.

2) Open HiJackThis app again - in the Main screen , choose "Open the Misc tools section"

Choose "Generate StartupList Log". The program will automatically open a Notepad windows filled with the Startup items from your computer. Copy and paste all the info and place it your next reply

3) Open HiJackThis app again - in the Main screen , choose "Open the Misc tools section".

Choose "Open Uninstall Manager" button. Choose "Save list" button and specify where you would like to save this log. When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file.

Copy and paste all the info and place it your next reply

You can now close HiJackThis and delete it.

SUMMARY:

In your next reply, please provide resume of your hardware tests results

Windows Update status

HiJackThis - 3 logs, pasted in your next replies

I will analyze the information and will guide you for next possible recommendations. 

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.5
Scan saved at 14:55:10, on 27/03/2016
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.02.1008)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v11.0 (11.00.10586.0020)
CHROME: 51.0.2692.0

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe
C:\Users\seane\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Compact Tray Meter.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\360\Total Security\safemon\QHSafeTray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP System Event\HPMSGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\YouCam6\YouCamService6.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Uninstaller\UninstallMonitor.exe
C:\Users\seane\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://hp15-comm.msn.com/?pc=HRTE
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://news.bbc.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://hp15-comm.msn.com/?pc=HRTE
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://hp15-comm.msn.com/?pc=HRTE
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = %11%\blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: HP Network Check Helper - {E76FD755-C1BA-4DCB-9F13-99BD91223ADE} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\HPNetworkCheckPlugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PowerDVD14Agent] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD14\PowerDVD14Agent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QHSafeTray] "C:\Program Files (x86)\360\Total Security\safemon\360Tray.exe" /start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPMessageService] C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP System Event\HPMSGSVC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPRadioMgr] C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Wireless Button Driver\HPRadioMgr64.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogMeIn Hamachi Ui] "C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn Hamachi\hamachi-2-ui.exe" --auto-start
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OneDrive] "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CCleaner Monitoring] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Viber] "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Viber\Viber.exe" StartMinimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WordWeb] "C:\Program Files (x86)\WordWeb\wweb32.exe" -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MusicManager] "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Programs\Google\MusicManager\MusicManager.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SurfEasy] C:\Program Files (x86)\SurfEasy VPN\client\SurfEasyVPN.exe startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Compact Tray Meter] "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Compact Tray Meter.exe" -autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [3A5D6B8D43C21DBE52E598A363D1809157F6F62A._service_run] "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" --type=service
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoogleChromeAutoLaunch_58A372E76E41EA16571044A8DB594F6E] "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" --no-startup-window
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [OneDriveSetup] C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /thfirstsetup (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [OneDriveSetup] C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /thfirstsetup (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [KSS] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Security Scan\kss.exe" autorun (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [KSS] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Security Scan\kss.exe" autorun (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Compact Tray Meter.exe
O4 - Startup: Google Play Music.lnk = C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe
O4 - Startup: Opera Mail.lnk = C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Opera Mail\operamail.exe
O4 - Startup: RBHook.dll
O4 - Startup: RBTray.exe
O4 - Startup: Telegram.lnk = C:\Users\seane\AppData\Roaming\Telegram Desktop\Telegram.exe
O4 - Startup: WhatsApp Web.lnk = C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kaspersky Software Updater Beta.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Software Updater Beta\ksu.exe
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\HPNetworkCheckPlugin.dll,-103 - {25510184-5A38-4A99-B273-DCA8EEF6CD08} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\NCLauncherFromIE.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\HPNetworkCheckPlugin.dll,-102 - {25510184-5A38-4A99-B273-DCA8EEF6CD08} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\NCLauncherFromIE.exe
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8e23acee-1b15-4f02-a06d-7c6d7f9367ea}: NameServer = 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
O18 - Protocol: tbauth - {14654CA6-5711-491D-B89A-58E571679951} - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\tbauth.dll
O18 - Protocol: windows.tbauth - {14654CA6-5711-491D-B89A-58E571679951} - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\tbauth.dll
O23 - Service: Intel® SGX AESM (AESMService) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelSGXPSW\bin\x64\Release\aesm_service.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service (cphs) - Intel Corporation - C:\windows\SysWow64\IntelCpHeciSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Content Protection HDCP Service (cplspcon) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\IntelCpHDCPSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\DiagSvcs\DiagnosticsHub.StandardCollector.ServiceRes.dll,-1000 (diagnosticshub.standardcollector.service) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\DiagSvcs\DiagnosticsHub.StandardCollector.Service.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @oem5.inf,%ServiceDisplayName%;ESIF Upper Framework Service (esifsvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\windows\SysWOW64\esif_uf.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel(R) Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: HP Support Solutions Framework Service (HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: HPWMISVC - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP System Event\HPWMISVC.exe
O23 - Service: @oem36.inf,%SERVICE_NAME%;Intel Bluetooth Service (ibtsiva) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\ibtsiva (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ieetwcollectorres.dll,-1000 (IEEtwCollectorService) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\IEEtwCollector.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service (igfxCUIService2.0.0.0) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\igfxCUIService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service TCP IP Interface - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\SocketHeciServer.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) WiDi Software Asset Manager (Intel(R) WiDi SAM) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel Corporation\Intel WiDi\Intel(R) Software Asset Manager\bin\IntelSoftwareAssetManagerService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service (jhi_service) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL\jhi_service.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate (LiveUpdateSvc) - IObit - C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\LiveUpdate\LiveUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes - C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Wireless PAN DHCP Server (MyWiFiDHCPDNS) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\PanDhcpDns.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: 360 Total Security (QHActiveDefense) - QIHU 360 SOFTWARE CO. LIMITED - C:\Program Files (x86)\360\Total Security\safemon\QHActiveDefense.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS) (RichVideo64) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo64.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Realtek Audio Service (RtkAudioService) - Realtek Semiconductor - C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkAudioService64.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SensorDataService.exe,-101 (SensorDataService) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\SensorDataService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Skype Updater (SkypeUpdate) - Skype Technologies - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Updater\Updater.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SurfEasy Service (SurfEasyVPN) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\SurfEasy VPN\client\SurfEasyService.exe
O23 - Service: SynTPEnh Caller Service (SynTPEnhService) - Synaptics Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnhService.exe
O23 - Service: TeamViewer 11 (TeamViewer) - TeamViewer GmbH - C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\TeamViewer_Service.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\TieringEngineService.exe,-702 (TieringEngineService) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\TieringEngineService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @oem17.inf,%WBFService_SvcDesc%;Synaptics FP WBF Policy Service (valWBFPolicyService) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\valWBFPolicyService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpAsDesc.dll,-320 (WdNisSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender\NisSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpAsDesc.dll,-310 (WinDefend) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Zero Configuration Service (ZeroConfigService) - Intel® Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\ZeroConfigService.exe

--
End of file - 13282 bytes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StartupList report, 27/03/2016, 15:19:37
StartupList version: 1.52.2
Started from : C:\Users\seane\Downloads\HijackThis.EXE
Detected: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.02.1008)
Detected: Internet Explorer v11.0 (11.00.10586.0020)
* Using default options
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe
C:\Users\seane\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Compact Tray Meter.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\360\Total Security\safemon\QHSafeTray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP System Event\HPMSGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\YouCam6\YouCamService6.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Uninstaller\UninstallMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\360\Total Security\safemon\chrome\360webshield.exe
C:\Users\seane\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

--------------------------------------------------

Listing of startup folders:

Shell folders Startup:
[C:\Users\seane\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
Compact Tray Meter.exe
Google Play Music.lnk = C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe
Opera Mail.lnk = C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Opera Mail\operamail.exe
RBHook.dll
RBTray.exe
Telegram.lnk = C:\Users\seane\AppData\Roaming\Telegram Desktop\Telegram.exe
WhatsApp Web.lnk = C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe

Shell folders Common Startup:
[C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
Kaspersky Software Updater Beta.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Software Updater Beta\ksu.exe

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
UserInit = C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

PowerDVD14Agent = "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD14\PowerDVD14Agent.exe"
QHSafeTray = "C:\Program Files (x86)\360\Total Security\safemon\360Tray.exe" /start
HPMessageService = C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP System Event\HPMSGSVC.exe
HPRadioMgr = C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Wireless Button Driver\HPRadioMgr64.exe
LogMeIn Hamachi Ui = "C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn Hamachi\hamachi-2-ui.exe" --auto-start

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

OneDrive = "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /background
Google Update = "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
CCleaner Monitoring = "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR
Viber = "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Viber\Viber.exe" StartMinimized
WordWeb = "C:\Program Files (x86)\WordWeb\wweb32.exe" -startup
MusicManager = "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Programs\Google\MusicManager\MusicManager.exe"
SurfEasy = C:\Program Files (x86)\SurfEasy VPN\client\SurfEasyVPN.exe startup
Compact Tray Meter = "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Compact Tray Meter.exe" -autorun
3A5D6B8D43C21DBE52E598A363D1809157F6F62A._service_run = "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" --type=service
GoogleChromeAutoLaunch_58A372E76E41EA16571044A8DB594F6E = "C:\Users\seane\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" --no-startup-window

File association entry for .HTA:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\shell\open\command

(Default) = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mshta.exe "%1" {1E460BD7-F1C3-4B2E-88BF-4E770A288AF5}%U{1E460BD7-F1C3-4B2E-88BF-4E770A288AF5} %*

Shell & screensaver key from C:\windows\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=*INI section not found*
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*
drivers=*INI section not found*

Shell & screensaver key from Registry:

Shell=explorer.exe
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*Registry value not found*
drivers=*Registry value not found*

Policies Shell key:

HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry key not found*
HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*

Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

HP Network Check Helper - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\HPNetworkCheckPlugin.dll - {E76FD755-C1BA-4DCB-9F13-99BD91223ADE}

Enumerating Task Scheduler jobs:

GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.job
GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA.job
GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-3876985716-1724513161-2605182437-1001Core.job
GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-3876985716-1724513161-2605182437-1001UA.job
HPCeeScheduleForseane.job
Uninstaller_SkipUac_seane.job
WpsUpdateTask_seane.job

Enumerating Winsock LSP files:

NameSpace #1: C:\windows\system32\napinsp.dll
NameSpace #2: C:\windows\system32\pnrpnsp.dll
NameSpace #3: C:\windows\system32\pnrpnsp.dll
NameSpace #4: C:\windows\system32\NLAapi.dll
NameSpace #7: C:\windows\System32\wshbth.dll

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

WebCheck: *Registry key not found*

End of report, 6,150 bytes
Report generated in 0.203 seconds

Command line options:
/verbose - to add additional info on each section
/complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
/full - to include several rarely-important sections
/force9x - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
/forcent - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
/forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
/history - to list version history only

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

360 Total Security
Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2
CyberLink PhotoDirector
CyberLink Power Media Player 14
CyberLink PowerDirector 12
CyberLink YouCam
FlashBack Express 5
Foxit Reader
Free RAR Extract Frog
FXCM MetaTrader 4
FXCM Trading Station
Google Earth
Google Update Helper
HP Customer Experience Enhancements
HP ePrint SW
HP ePrint SW
HP Recovery Manager
HP Support Assistant
HP Support Solutions Framework
HP System Event Utility
HP Wireless Button Driver
Intel(R) Chipset Device Software
Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework
Intel(R) Processor Graphics
Intel(R) WiDi Software Asset Manager
Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)
IObit Uninstaller
Kaspersky Software Updater Beta
Kaspersky Software Updater Beta
Kingsoft Office 2013 (9.1.0.4550)
LogMeIn Hamachi
LogMeIn Hamachi
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.0.1024
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.61030
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x86 Additional Runtime - 11.0.61030
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 x86 Minimum Runtime - 11.0.61030
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64) - 12.0.30501
Mozilla Maintenance Service
MusicBee 2.5
MusicBrainz Picard
Realtek Card Reader
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Skype™ 7.22
SurfEasy VPN 3.1.401
swMSM
TeamViewer 11
TrueCrypt
Viber
WordWeb

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I have quite a few programs installed right now, may I add that I performed a clean install of windows 10 but the laptop still froze before I began uninstalling any bloatware and reinstalling my programs.

Hardware tests for RAM, disk and system board carried out. All PASSED.

Windows confirmed updated at of today 15:28hrs GMT.

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for following my instructions fully.

Since all the hardware tests passed fine and

due to the huge amount + great varienty of software, I can conclude this issue is related to software problem.

First, you have no antivirus software from reputable vendor - only 360 suite which is not considered as good and reputable as some from other vendors such as Kaspersky (you have some of their software installed), Symantec (Norton), ESET, etc...

Then, you have Kaspersky Security Scan - although it does not work in real time (real time active protection), Kaspersky drivers are active and in possible conflict with other security software from different vendors.

You have Malwarebytes' AntiMalware installed - drivers present (not sure if active protection is active) .

You have True Crypt installed - your HDD may be encrypted or some external media (or just files).

You have a VPN software and remote access one (SurfEasy + Hamachi)

Additionally, you may want to temporary uninstall HP Support Assistant

Not to mention you run Windows 10 - what is new here is the constant updates - please, check that all updates are installed so that this does not interfere with computer and other software during updates installation.

This is definitely a software problem - I would strongly recommend you get rid of all the software you do not need. VPN, several security products (AV, AS, encryption), additional helpful software, scaners, cleaners, optimizers, Skype, Team Viewer, Viber, etc... all this mix of drivers, processes, services from different vendors causes slow down or incompatibility. You can also reinstall Windows (perform factory reset) and give the computer fresh clean start. It is recommended people run only 1 software from the same type.

Please, let me know if I can assist you further. 🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I reckon I need to elaborate my situation further.

Just about an hour after starting the laptop for the first time and without having installed or uninstalled any software, it froze on me.

Over the next couple of days, I proceeded to install a couple of software. The freezing continued but didn't get any worse. It happened multiple times per day, mostly while the laptop was idle.

I performed a clean install of windows but the laptop froze again, again this was before I attempted installing any software at all. I then installed the software listed in my previous post.

I have performed yet another clean install of windows but the laptop has frozen on me several times nonetheless.

HP Recommended

Also, will like to add that I've uninstalled HP Support Assistant but that didn't do the trick unfortunately, the freezing persists.

HP Recommended

OK,

I understand your point.

If this is the case and since the laptop is new , I guess you could send it back, return it to the seller and replace it with a new one. May be something is faulty with this one, something which we cannot detect here. 

I suggest you contact HP support to check the best option >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

HP Recommended

Hi

I'm back again. This issue is definitely not coincidental. This is the third replacement laptop I've got thus far and it has the same problem. Straight out of the box, with no extra software installed. 

I've tried changing the power option to "performance". 

Ran full system tests and scans, which came back as all passed or okay.

Windows confirmed up to date.

All drivers up to date.

Several processes/conditions seems to cause the freezing more than others. 

They include:

Transferring files

Using Microsoft Edge

Leaving laptop idle for more than 10 minutes

SSD running at 100% by the "System and compressed memory" process as seen in the task manager. 

I ran a google search and I've seen loads of other people having the same issues with other brands. Seems to be a windows 10 problem. 

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

@ernal

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Finally got it somewhat sorted. Having the Task Manager open at all times, I noticed that the data through the WiFi went to  zero for about 3 seconds before the freeze occurred. I then decided to disable the WiFi and connect through my smartphone. No freezing occurred whilst in this state; for about a week.

On reconnecting back to my router, my laptop froze within the hour. The HP support tech said he was aware of certain routers causing printers to freeze so I should try connecting to another. Luckily, I had powerline adapters and a nano router lying about. I connected that up and experienced no freezing for 6 days. On connecting back to the initial router, my laptop froze yet again.

Running a google search found others with the exact problem that was supposedly solved by disabling IPV6 on the WiFi adapter on the laptop. I disable it and have not experienced a freeze for 5 days thus far. 

Fingers crossed, that should be the end of it. I will update my post should any freezing occur again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.