Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Pavillion notebook not boot windows after i did some change in boot setup. Sorry as i know i just change legacy boot option enable , but may be some else i did. ok. somehow i cannot boot and i post here and never get any help yet. 

Yesterday I brought new Windows 10 CD and try to install, that also fail. My notebook not booting from CD, I try to change legacy boot order also. So I got a linux CD from my friend and install. Yes this time it takes linux and install succusfully. 

Anyone help me to install windows on notebook ? because if Linux can able to install means, windows also able to install right ? I think UEFI is the unknown thing here blocking me. Anyone can give what exact boot setup need to install on my notbook. It is new 2 moths old :(.

In my linux I can see "WINRE" drive , but cannot open that. it is saying corrected kind of error message. 

Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @maaply.

Thank you for your reply.

If you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 the Windows key will automatically be picked up and installed. When you activate your Windows 10 it will register the product key.  If you did purchase a Windows 10 disk it would have it own product key. Did you create recovery media when you first setup your notebook?

Before using the Windows disk, please try restoring the defaults in the bios and doing a recovery. Hopefully, this will get you back up and running and the retail disk will not be necessary. (Perhaps you could return it)

Here are links to assist you with that process.

HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10).

Once you have your notebook restored back to factory settings, if you did not create recovery media before, now would be a good time. The recovery media would allow you to reinstall the original operating system and software should you have an issue with the Recovery Manager.  If you still have an issue, please contact HP Support for assistance with the recovery process. You should be under warranty as you stated you purchased this a couple of months ago. Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi@maaply

Thank you for your query.

I grasp that you are trying to install Windows, but have not been able to boot to the CD. You have enabled Legacy but were still unsuccessful.  

First, disable secure boot.  Here is a link to HP PCs - Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS to guide you through changing the boot order.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as  "Accept as Solution”  to help other community  members!

To say thanks for the assistance, please click the “Thumbs Up Icon” below.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles1,

Thanks for your reply. Before use my new windows key, just checking.... I read some where in internet, HP laptops are store windows key in bios. So is it possible to use my original windows key from bios ? 

If yes, please help to get procedure. so that i can save one windows key.

HP Recommended

Hi @maaply.

Thank you for your reply.

If you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 the Windows key will automatically be picked up and installed. When you activate your Windows 10 it will register the product key.  If you did purchase a Windows 10 disk it would have it own product key. Did you create recovery media when you first setup your notebook?

Before using the Windows disk, please try restoring the defaults in the bios and doing a recovery. Hopefully, this will get you back up and running and the retail disk will not be necessary. (Perhaps you could return it)

Here are links to assist you with that process.

HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10).

Once you have your notebook restored back to factory settings, if you did not create recovery media before, now would be a good time. The recovery media would allow you to reinstall the original operating system and software should you have an issue with the Recovery Manager.  If you still have an issue, please contact HP Support for assistance with the recovery process. You should be under warranty as you stated you purchased this a couple of months ago. Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks, Windows takes product key automatically. But My “WINRE” partition deleted some how. Is that mean my recovery was gone permanently or can retrieve again?   

If yes please advise me.

Now my windows is up and try to create recovery disk, but I got message media should be minimum 8GB. Is it only option can I get it or I can do recovery disk with single track DVD (4.7GB) ?

HP Recommended

Hi @maaply,

Thank you for the update and I am glad you are back up and running.   As the message informs you that you will need 8GB to do a recovery, no you can not use a single disk, however, you can use an USB key that is 8GB or more.   Here is a link to Create a recovery drive (from windows.microsoft.com) to assist you with that process.

Please let me know how you make out.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Is it possible to get back WINRE drive again? or can i make it myself the recovery partition in my HDD ?

HP Recommended

Hi @maaply ,

Thank you for your response.

To get  the original recovery partition back, you would need to do a recovery back to factory settings, which would automatically recreate it.  If you do not have recovery media, you will need to contact HP Support to acquire a recovery kit. 

If you would like to make a recovery partition for Windows 10.  You would follow the same process you did previously when you received the message that you need 8 GB for the recovery media.  One of the options during that process is to create a recovery partition. How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10 (from answers.microsoft.com).  Should you run into any difficulties you can contact HP Support for assistance. With your permission, they can remotely access your system to aid with this process.  Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Please keep me updated on your progress.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as  "Accept as Solution”  to help other community  members! To say thanks for the assistance, please click the “Thumbs Up Icon” below.

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.