Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G5 Notebook PC

Yesterday night, I put my laptop, an HP Elitebook 840 G5, to sleep. It functioned perfectly, I installed an update a little earlier that evening. This afternoon, I come to use it, I try to sign in with my fingerprint, it doesn’t work. It demands a PIN (which admittedly, I do not remember). I enter in a guess for the PIN, it then says the password EXPIRED and that I need to set a new one. I haven’t used the password in over 6 months, so of course, I don’t remember it. This is because my account on the device is a local one, not attached to my Microsoft account. I created the local account when I had to send the laptop for repairs and cleared my data. 

I spent an hour attempting the password, using the hint to the best of my ability, and it was wrong each and every time. Eventually I gave up, and seeked help from a techie friend of mine, who helped me through downloading a boot installer onto my USB drive so I could flash Windows 10 onto the device (I have another laptop, but it’s not my main device since it’s significantly underpowered. I cannot use it for my workload). But upon an attempt to open the Windows Repair Environment — by holding Shift (I tried both of them) and restarting the device — IT DIDNT OPEN! I tried again, no success, I attempted the passcode until it said I was locked out, then shut down and power back up, and try again, multiple times. The PIN wouldn’t work, the fingerprint wouldn’t work. I didn’t have a password reset disk since I never knew it even existed until today! 

With all hope seemingly lost, I turned to the nuclear option: a factory reset. I held down the Shift key and restarted again. It. Did. Not. Restart. It just booted up as it did before! I tried numerous times, and to no avail. I tried the password, the boot flash, no luck. The entire device is for all intents and purposes, BRICKED! And it was fine and dandy just a day ago. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey @RemondReed,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions/directions intended to bypass or subvert security mechanisms such as lock screens, BitLockers, BIOS lock, passwords, fingerprint/biometry scanners, PINs nor any other safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

For cases related to BitLocker issues, please contact Microsoft Support.

Regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.