Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
dm1 notebook#WX899UA#ABC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

TRIED TO UPGRADE WITH WIN10 media creation USB drive and after two days shut her down as she seemed stuck.

Been trying to revive her for the last two days and currently hdd no longer recognized in bios.

last time I saw drive c with 15 meg of 200 something Gb drive was during the chkdsk I ran in the win 10 repair mode from the media creation tool. I had to 'unlock' or dismount the Volume and all opened handles would thereafter be invalid.

(Whatever that means....).

now I can only boot from the USB port. As in bios there is no boot device found, hard disk test in bios says hard disk not exist.

now I think I need to get a win7 boot file on USB to get her going again.....maybe ?if so where?

also when I tried to download win7 from MS, NEEDED the product key but label is worn and have been guessing at missing obliterated chars....

Needless to say right about now I have some choice words for bill gates.....with his win 10 that my notebook is verified to be able to run!!!

any suggestions are welcome. Btw, have tried every suggestion from the HP support website....

Also made a disk image before I stared all this but it cannot be accessed due to the bios no longer being able to see the hdd....

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, thanks for that update -- guess they no longer link to the OEM ISOs.

So here is another link -- and it does include OEM ISOs, but again, I don't know if they will work for HP: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/universal_windows_downloader.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Update , got me a SATA-USB adapter and plugged the dm1 hdd into my other lapotop and NADA....ZIP CANNOT ACCES the drive at all.

So does that mean updating to Win 10 fried the hdd???

HP Recommended

Hi @cmyachtie,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the hard drive. I will be glad to help you.

Please look the document for Boot Device Not Found Error or Hard Drive Not Detected.

No Windows 10 did not " fried the hdd" just because you can not open a zip formatted file.  You just need to install WinZip.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response tardis40.

i have followed the instructions in the link you posted and then some, several times in all ways possible, all to no avail .....

Am still trying to rebuilt the boot record ....that appears to have mysteriously disappeared.

btw I get the screen like fig 1 exactly in the link you provided and nothing thus far I have tried has gotten me beyond that.

HP Recommended

Still not making any progress:

Also my C: drive only has around 13 meg space, whatever happened to the 250 gigs wit was before the attempted windows 10 upgrade???

so am giving up on win10 for sure, but. How do get win7 back???

tried to restore image I created before but no go, any other roll back or restore no go as well tried to get new win7 download to put on USB but my sticker product key appears not to be anybody for ms.......

image.jpeg

HP Recommended

Hi @cmyachtie,

The Link I provide gave the step for doing a Windows 10 recovery.

If that did not work contact HP support to see if you can purchase a recovery CD. 

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@Tardis40 wrote:

Hi @cmyachtie,

The Link I provide gave the step for doing a Windows 10 recovery.

If that did not work contact HP support to see if you can purchase a recovery CD. 

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thanks again, however did talk to HP support and all they were interested in is selling me their support program, besides this is a notebook w/o dvd drive.

finally decided the hdd is toast and replaced is with an SSD and re-installed fresh new win7. As It was not possible to use the image Image I had created.

now I have the challenge of getting the 'real' windows product key as the label on bottom is not the right one apparently....**bleep**!!

HP Recommended

Unless you reinstalled Win7 using HP Recovery Media, then you likely used a Retail version of Win7 -- and that will NEVER activate on your PC because the product key that came with your PC only works on the HP OEM version of Win7.

HP Recommended

@WAWood wrote:

Unless you reinstalled Win7 using HP Recovery Media, then you likely used a Retail version of Win7 -- and that will NEVER activate on your PC because the product key that came with your PC only works on the HP OEM version of Win7.

Then I suppose I am f****d because the HP Recovery media was of no use to me as it was unable to run plus the image I had was to large for my new drive..

Or is there anyway I can get the HP OEM version of win 7??

HP Recommended

cmyachtie

Here is a source of ISO image downloads.  This is not supported by HP, so you will have to hunt for the disk you want.

It may or may not work: Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.