Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy x360 m6-w103dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with my Envy x360 (m6-w103dx). I like it a lot so far and decided it needed a boost, so I took a Crucial BX100 250GB SSD I had and cloned the HDD that came with the laptop to the SSD. Immediately on boot the laptop says the drive's smart status has an issue/failing (which doesn't seem right, the other PC's I've been trying the SSD on aren't showing the same things, and just this morning the SSD was functioning perfectly fine as the boot drive of an older PC)

After that the laptop would say "Boot device not found, Please install an operating system on your hard disk" (3F0).
So I figured okay, maybe I botched cloning the HDD. I plugged the SSD back into my desktop and wiped it clean, and prepared a Windows 10 USB installer. While I was doing this, I also put the original HDD back in the laptop to make sure it was still functioning properly and the laptop booted up fine just like it used to.

I put the wiped/cleaned SSD back into the laptop. I'm still getting the message about the drive's smart status on boot, and "Boot device not found, Please install an operating system on your hard disk" (3F0). So sounds like I just need to install windows...

plugged in the Win 10 USB drive, and set bios to boot USB first. After that Windows 10 installer came up just like it normally does but there were no drives detected. I'm pretty stuck at this point. I've tried cloning, wiping the drive and initializing it as MBR, and again wiping it and trying GPT, and tried setting the laptop to boot in "Legacy" mode.

Edit1:
I've now put an old 500GB HDD in the laptop just to see if it would detect it - It did, and booted into an old windows 7 install right away. Plugged the SSD into my desktop, which detected it no problems, and installed windows 10 on it.

Edit2:
Put my desktop's 80gb SSD in the laptop and it booted windows 7 no problems... That drive is too small for what I want on my laptop, so still trying to get the 250GB Crucial BX100 booting on the laptop. I install Crucial's SSD software to take a look at the SMART details of the drive and crucial says it is in good health, so I have no idea why the laptop says otherwise and also can't detect it properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Alright, I've finally got a working laptop. Hopefully this will help anyone who ever runs into a similar issue.

I did a secure erase for both of the SSDs, Crucial BX 100 and Adata SP550. Deleting everything on the drive and repartitioning it in Windows wasn't enough, it had to be secure erase to fix whatever the botched clone caused.

The Crucial drive still showed SMART errors on boot up - which must mean it really is a firmware incompatibility. 

However, the Adata showed up again! Windows is installing successfully so now I just have to deal with getting the proper drivers installed for the laptop. It's dissapointing the Crucial drive wasn't compatible, but I'll find a use for it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @NathanielP,

Thanks for posting on the HP forums!

I see you're having trouble getting the Crucial SSD recognized by your Envy x360.  I can try to point you in the right direction.  Supported drives we have listed in the product description here, on page 2.

There's also this write-up on HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives - Identifying, Preventing, Diagnosing and Recovering from Drive Failures.

It could very well be the size of the SSD that you're trying to use, is too big for the notebook to recognize.  Or it could be a firmware compatibility issue.  Since the other SSD's you tried, worked, it could boil down to that one particular drive/make/model etc...

Actions speak louder than words, please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as solved. It only takes a second to click the Accept as Solution button.

RedViking6
I work on behalf of HP
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hi RedViking,

I think you are right about it being a firmware compatibility issue. I guess there may not be a proper solution in that case?

Just to be sure that the 250gb BX100 was in good condition, I did install Crucial's SSD software on another PC and it said the drive was in good health.

I did order a 240gb Adata SSD. I'll be trying it out with the laptop later this week and I'll give an update with results on that drive.
HP Recommended

The Adata SSD arrived today, much sooner than I expected. I think I've got the issue narrowed down now.

I put the Adata SSD into the laptop and let the windows 10 installer startup - it could see the drive! Wonderful.

However I wanted to clone the original HDD to avoid setting up all the drivers for this laptop. So I cloned it just like I did for the Crucial SSD, put it in the Laptop and Bam - nothing again! Laptop can't see it, and windows 10 installer can't see it anymore.

Something that EaseUS Todo Backup Free did during cloning the drive made the laptop unable to recognize the Adata drive, and I assume it did the same to the Crucial drive. I'm currently attempting to do a secure erase on the drives and see if I can get the laptop to recognize them again. It looks like I'm going to give up on trying to clone the HDD and just do a fresh install of windows 10, assuming I can restore the SSDs to a state where the laptop can recognize them.

HP Recommended

Alright, I've finally got a working laptop. Hopefully this will help anyone who ever runs into a similar issue.

I did a secure erase for both of the SSDs, Crucial BX 100 and Adata SP550. Deleting everything on the drive and repartitioning it in Windows wasn't enough, it had to be secure erase to fix whatever the botched clone caused.

The Crucial drive still showed SMART errors on boot up - which must mean it really is a firmware incompatibility. 

However, the Adata showed up again! Windows is installing successfully so now I just have to deal with getting the proper drivers installed for the laptop. It's dissapointing the Crucial drive wasn't compatible, but I'll find a use for it.

HP Recommended

Hi @NathanielIP,

Thank you for the update and I am elated to hear that you were able to get the Adata drive up and running and determined that the Crucial BS 100 drive is not compatible. You can download the recommended HP drivers from the HP page on the web. HP ENVY x360 - m6-w103dx Software and Drivers. To assist with acquiring the drivers, you can run the HP Support Assistant. It would also help with the installation of the drivers.

To say thanks for the assistance,please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below. If you feel that the information provided by @RedViking6, lead to the resolution, please consider marking that post as "Accepted Solution" to alert other members and visitors alike to your success, and perhaps help them also.

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.