Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

What does the solid orange light on my F8 key mean. Can't find out what this is and why it showed up.

Any clues?

How do I turn it off?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I note that this question from 2015 has never been answered. I sombody Knows please reply as this light has just appeared on my notebook (windows 10). I cannot work out what the icon represents either, 

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

HP Recommended

I noticed it was on but I couln't turn it off, then I had conference call an my microphone wasn't working, the light remained on the entire time.  restarting my computer didn't work.  

HP Recommended

The amber LED on the F8 key indicates the microphone is muted.  You likely muted it by (inadvertantly) pressing Fn and F8 together.  To clear it, Press and Hold down Fn (Function) and press F8 again. 

If that does't clear it, press and hold down both the Function (Fn) and the Windows logo keys together, then press F8.

Lastly, a few users have had to reinstall the quick launch button utility and reset the machine by shutting down completely, unplugging from the wall, removing the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes. 

Each time it has "stuck" on for me, pressing and holding both Fn and Windows keys while tapping F8 has cleared it.

HP Recommended
It works at times... But what makes it to light each and every time?
HP Recommended

I came here because i had the same problem . These steps worked for me :- separately  press "Fn" > "f8" > windows key > "f8" . 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem and the key combinations that you mentioned is not working for me on my HP 840 G1 laptop with Windows 10 (version 1803). The orange light is always shown on the F8 key.

I reinstalled Intel and AMD drivers, the HP HotKeys driver and software too (which the latest version was dated around 2015/16) I reboot, restart, reload the computer multiple times, but nothing helped me.

On the HP Support Center page there is not found any soundcard driver which could help to change microfon mute function.

Unfortunately the Fn+F9 and Fn+F10 keys (change display brightness) not working too.

I hope that some of HP technicians read this thread and can do something with this Fn keys problem.

HP Recommended

SOLVED!!!

I have a HP Probook 655 G1

The F8 amber light indicates that the microphone is muted.

Installing the BIOS update solved the problem for me. 

Installing the Hotkey driver alone didnt solved it

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you, I tried, but I used the latest BIOS version (L71 v 1.46 - 20/07/2018).

So unfortunately it could not helped me.

HP Recommended

I had exacty the same issue, Orange light glowing for several days and wouldnt go off whatever I tried.

I tried pressing the Fn button then the F8 button, as recommend  - no change, I still had the Orange light glowing.

Then - more by accident than design - I pressed both keys Fn & F8 AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME - and Bingo!

The light went off!

I hope this helps someone with the same frustrating issue and avoids the need for more drastic solutions. 

:generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.