Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My computer is a HP 15 Notebook PC, and I use Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit). I recently received notice of a important update regarding an HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors). I tried doing the update, but it seems to behave strangely. Creating a restore point, checking available space, connecting to HP servers, and the downloading itself are all marked with a green check, but when it goes to installing, after a few seconds of it, a gray X box shows up beside installing, and all I can do is click 'next', and it leaves. What am I supposed to do? Is this update supremely necessary to keep using my computer as is?

Model number: f100dx

Product: J2X70UA//ABA

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Nicmurg1 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP 15-f100dx Notebook and issues with the BIOS update.

I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings.

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that might need updating. This is the only way I would do updates as they are made for your HP Notebook.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm having an issue with an update. HP support assistant keeps prompting me to install an update on my HP Pavillion laptop with windows 10. The update is HP notebook system BIOS update (AMD Processors). I have downloaded and installed this update twice and nothing indicated that anything had gone wrong with the update. It went through all the steps without any issues at all. However HP support assistant keeps telling me that I need to do the same update. As I said I've done it already and it said it was successful so I dont understand why Support assistant keeps telling me I still need to do it. I would appreciate any help you could give me with this matter as I'm not 100% sure if the update was successful nor do I know how important it is if it wasn't successful. 

Thank you

Bradley Marema CVT

HP Recommended

Hey Bradley, there are a few known issues with the most recent BIOS updated being rolled out and it is not extremely important to have it installed (Just a few minor bug fixes). To disable HP support assistant from giving you constant notifications and to pause installation of updates, open HP support assistant and click on settings - 

In the Choose how you would like to receive software updates from HP section, you can change the following settings:

If you want important updates installed automatically, click Install important updates automatically when possible.
If you want important and recommended updates installed automatically, click Install important and recommended updates automatically when possible.
To view more install options, click More options.
If you want to choose which updates to install, click Check for updates, but let me choose when updates to download and install.
If you do not want HP Support Assistant to check for updates, click Never check for updates.

If you are having issues booting up after the update then shut down the pc and once it is off press the windows & B key together and then hit the power button - This will rollback the most recent update that is causing issues. 

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.