Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7"
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I really am not exactly sure what the name of my product is, nevertheless my problem is very specific:

I initially got an error message titled something along the lines of "logonui.exe application error" with a black background, I couldn't start my laptop back up so I went to recovery and just backed everything up successfully and went to reformat but it got stuck at 2% until it eventually said the recovery manager has stopped working, I tried just about everything until eventually my laptop just said "starting automatic repair" goes to a light blue screen, restarts and repeats over and over. I really cannot do anything at all it seems pretty much doomed. It seems like a virus but I really am not sure what I can do, if the only solution is to send it in for repair, is there anything I can try now?

Kind Regards,

Josh

I get the "HP Recovery Manager failed. Error code = 0xEFFFFF08" pop up whenever i try to recover and I am not using any USB devices.

I ran a Hard drive scan on UEFI and my results were:

Smart Check: Passed

Short DST: Failed

Failure ID: QCQ7PH-7RK701-XD7WMF-60VL03

Product ID: N1L03EA#ABV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey! 

"The "LogonUI" application in Windows manages your startup and shutdown graphical user interface (GUI), which shows the Windows logo on your screen and the status of your shutdown. It also displays the login screen that you see when you first start up the PC. A corruption in this application might lead to problems booting up and shutting down, such as freezing." 

I found this paragraph from a link titled: LogonUI.Exe Application Error after updating Windows 8.1 that may help you! There are some troubleshooting steps in there that may help. 

Here is a Microsoft document for you to read as well. This one is titled: Error: LogonUI.exe application error.

I understand what you are saying about marking this as solved. Tell you what, read over the links I have provided about the application error (which from what I read, in my personal opinion, does not sound like a virus), replace the hard drive and then if the issues are resolved for you, come back and mark this issue as an Accepted Solution for others. 

Wishing you the best! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi there @JoshVanAlden, 

I would like to welcome you to the HP Support Community where you can ask questions, find solutions and get help with the issues you experience.

Please disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. 

I found that the 0xEFFFFF08 Error Code is displayed when a factory image recovery process using a USB key fails. I found a document called HP Recovery Manager failed. Error code = 0xEFFFFF08 that says the solution is to "Insert the USB recovery key into a USB 3.0 port on the left-side to perform a recovery process".

You had mentioned also receiving a Failure ID: QCQ7PH-7RK701-XD7WMF-60VL03. This Failure ID Code is the code for "Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure". As this Failure Code is linked to the Hard Drive, I would suggest backing up all important files as soon as you can just to be safe.

Here are two documents that will help you troubleshoot to find out the deeper cause. 

1. HP Notebook PCs - Hard Drive Failure Errors: Imminent Failure, Smart, BIOHD, HD535, etc.

2. HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎.

If that does not work, I found the Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems document for you that may help. 

Did you turn the Notebook off at all during the process?

Do you have anything connected to the Notebook?

Do you have Recovery Disc's?

Did this reply resolve your post or question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the kudos.

Thanks for participating in the HP Forums where we want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as you have. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to help! Please just re-post with the detailed results of the troubleshooting! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I researched my problem and all of the links you posted I had already been to and tried, as for most of them I cannot attempt because I cannot get onto my laptop because boot device is not working.

HP Recommended

Hi there! 

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! 

Did you happen to try and check for hard drive updates?

If the steps in those document failed to resolve the issue, the hard drive might have failed. 

Is the Notebook still in warranty? If you are unsure, you can use the HP Product Warranty Checker to see. 

If you do not have another Hard drive to try, you can use the HP PartSurfer website to find or purchase a hard drive that is compatible with your Notebook. After replacing the hard drive, use recovery discs to replace the software that came with the computer.

If all else fails, please create yourself a case number, and contact us:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Please let me know if these steps resolve the issue by marking this post as Accept as Solution. This will help other's with the same issue find a resolution on the HP Support Forums quickly. 

If you would like to simply say Thanks for my reply, please use the Thumbs up button. 

I hope that this information helps and you are able to resolve the issue. 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help, I think my hard drive has failed no doubt and I will be trying to get it replaced.

I just wanted to find out what the "logonui.exe application error" meant and how it fluctuated to me having my hard drive fail, whether it was a virus or whether it could be a physical problem with the laptop.

I would mark this as solved, but I worry if when the hard drive is replaced the damage is already done and if the hard drive wasn't the only problem.

Kind Regards,

Josh

HP Recommended

Hey! 

"The "LogonUI" application in Windows manages your startup and shutdown graphical user interface (GUI), which shows the Windows logo on your screen and the status of your shutdown. It also displays the login screen that you see when you first start up the PC. A corruption in this application might lead to problems booting up and shutting down, such as freezing." 

I found this paragraph from a link titled: LogonUI.Exe Application Error after updating Windows 8.1 that may help you! There are some troubleshooting steps in there that may help. 

Here is a Microsoft document for you to read as well. This one is titled: Error: LogonUI.exe application error.

I understand what you are saying about marking this as solved. Tell you what, read over the links I have provided about the application error (which from what I read, in my personal opinion, does not sound like a virus), replace the hard drive and then if the issues are resolved for you, come back and mark this issue as an Accepted Solution for others. 

Wishing you the best! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.