Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x2 - 10-k010nr
Windows 8.1

Hi I just bought this beautiful device (HP Pavilion x2 - 10-k010nr). Unfortunately it comes with Windows8.

I would like to install Ubuntu on it. But it just wont boot from the attached DVD drive.

Here is what I did:

Changed Bios settings:

- disabled Secure boot

- changed boot order to boot from external usb cd-drive

Then I Restart:

I would expect the device to boot from the attached CD drive however it completyly ignores the CD and directly boots into Windows. (eventhough I changed the boot order as described above).

Does HP change the BIOS in order to prevent any other operating system from loading?

Any helpfull comments are very much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @BillyBob123 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you wish to install a different operating system for your notebook. I am happy to help with the issue, but as an FYI, HP only provides drivers for windows 8.1 for that model of notebook, and so will not support Ubuntu on that device. I would recommend that you make a set of recovery disks before you think of installing an unsupported operating system to give you at least a recovery option.

In terms of the issue with the cd not reading it is most likely going to have to do with the cd itself. The notebook is almost certainly UEFI enabled, and so if you put in any bootable device it has to have an UEFI partition, unless you enable legacy support in the BIOS.

Take a look at these:

About UEFI and the Startup Menu

Enable Legacy Boot Mode - neosmart.net  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Malygris1, the first link you provided loops back to the main HP Technical Support forum and has ZERO information about the UEFI and Startup Menu. The second link you provided is to a 3rd party's web site and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this model of tablet.

It is OK to state that HP will not support Ubuntu on this device, but it's absolutely unacceptable to intentionally send people on wild goose chases!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.