Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 15-u010dx x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please correct any issues or typos.  🙂

--------------------------------------------------

HOW TO RESOLVE POST-WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE ISSUES ON HP LAPTOPS

----------

After upgrading your HP laptop to Windows 10, you may notice any or all of the following issues:

• System hangs when attempting to sleep or shut down, particularly after long periods of use.
  • TouchPad settings do not save across sessions.
  • Wi-Fi connection is unstable and constantly disconnects and reconnects.

Follow the steps below to resolve these issues.

----------

NOTE #1: My laptop model is the HP ENVY 15-u010dx x360.  These fixes should work on most HP laptop models with similar specs and features, but please consult your manual and check for drivers that are compatible with your system.

NOTE #2: A very special thanks to Zoomelliott, Sibu16, re4med, and everyone on the HP Support Forums (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Windows-10-Laptop-won-t-go-into...) who helped troubleshoot these issues and worked together to discover the solutions!

----------

HOW TO RESOLVE SLEEP/SHUTDOWN ISSUES

1. Download version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.
    • NOTE: You do NOT need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10.  The presence of some version of the driver is required in order to "upgrade" (or in this case downgrade) it.
  5. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the driver.)
  6. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Rejoice!  You can finally sleep and shut down again.  🙂

----------

HOW TO RESOLVE TOUCHPAD SETTING RESET ISSUES

1. Download version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
    • Navigate HP's Software and Driver Downloads site (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html) to find the latest approved driver for your model.  Filter by version, selecting Microsoft Windows 8.1 on the dropdown menu.  Look for the download in the "Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices" category.  If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is listed, download it.
    • If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is NOT listed, download the driver directly from HP (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68001-68500/sp68198.exe).
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.
    • In the Control Panel, select Device Manager.
    • Click the "+" next to "Mice and Other Pointing Devices" to expand that category.
    • Double-click on the Synaptics SMBus TouchPad to bring up its properties.
    • Navigate to the Driver tab and click Uninstall.
    • Check the box to delete the driver software for this device, then click OK to uninstall.
  5. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Software (HP Control Zone).
    • In the Control Panel, select Programs and Features.
    • Scroll down to HP Control Zone (published by Synaptics Incorporated) and uninstall it.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. Install version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
  8. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 19 of the driver.)
  9. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  10. Restart your computer again.
  11. Rejoice!  Your TouchPad settings will finally save across sessions again.  🙂

----------

HOW TO RESOLVE WI-FI CONNECTION INSTABILITY ISSUES

NOTE: This issue applies specifically to Intel 7260/3160 Wireless LAN cards.  Do not follow these steps if your model does not include one of these cards.

1. Download the latest version of the Intel 7260/3160 Wireless LAN Driver – currently version 17.16.2.1 Rev. P (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71531.exe).
  2. Install the driver update.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Rejoice! Your Wi-Fi connection will finally be stable.  🙂

--------------------------------------------------

--DanG

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended

Thanks for this! So far so good!

I had trouble installing the backdated MEI driver because a process (msiexec.exe) was running. I tried all kinds of things but the install would not run and I could not find the process to kill it.

FInally I "removed programs" anything with Intel that included Manafeability Engine (2)

In retrospect, I shoudl have uninstalled the MEI driver from the device manager first.

So if you can't install the version 9 MEI driver, first uninstall the old MEI driver via Device Manager. If that doesn't work try removing the Intel Manageability Engine programs. The new (i.e. old) MEI install replaces them anyway

HP Recommended

Thanks for adding that info!  I initially uninstalled v11, but v9 wouldn't install for me...  I had to restart and wait for Windows Update to reinstall v11 before I could install v9 in place of it.  Why?  No idea.  😛

But yeah, if you're unable to install v9/v10 off the bat, try uninstalling v11 first.  Thanks @Mingy!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tips, but I have a Broadcom BCM43142 in my Envy PC 103C_5335KV and have the same problem.  I have tried upgrading to the latest drivers through HP support but I still gave a flaky wireless connection that drops out regularly.  Never had a problem under Windows 8!!  I also have an issue with the finger print scanner - it keeps activating and flashing even when it shouldnt. It quite often happens when the wireless drops out - any connection or is it just me being paranoid.  My other problem relates to the software upgrade for the finger print scanner.  It downloads OK but will not install and has an error message as follows saying that the installer has stopepd the installation!  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

@bigpef wrote:

Thanks for the tips, but I have a Broadcom BCM43142 in my Envy PC 103C_5335KV and have the same problem.  I have tried upgrading to the latest drivers through HP support but I still gave a flaky wireless connection that drops out regularly.  Never had a problem under Windows 8!!  I also have an issue with the finger print scanner - it keeps activating and flashing even when it shouldnt. It quite often happens when the wireless drops out - any connection or is it just me being paranoid.  My other problem relates to the software upgrade for the finger print scanner.  It downloads OK but will not install and has an error message as follows saying that the installer has stopepd the installation!  Any suggestions?

Yikes!  Those definitely sound like Windows 10 driver compatibility issues.  I don't have either of those problems on my model, so other than trying to upgrade or roll back the drivers, I'm not sure what to suggest in your case.  Sorry!

If you can't resolve in Windows 10, you may just need to revert to Windows 8.1 until properly functioning drivers for Windows 10 are published.

HP Recommended

Am I correct in assuming that this solution won't work for us who have AMD processors? HP Pavillion g6 AMD A4

HP Recommended

Given I bought this laptop just a couple of weeks before W10 was released and the HP consultant in the store said it would be have no issues with the upgrade, you would have thought that that the hardware would be compatible!!  Come on HP, you get input with suppliers whether it be hardware or systems - these shouldnt be happening!

HP Recommended

Probably not, however, it seems clear many of the issues are with buggy new drivers.

Since 8.1 drivers work with Windows 10, trying to downgrade various drivers to pre-Windows 10 versions and hiding automatic driver updates until the problems get fixed is a reasonable strategy.

HP Recommended

Finallly! This is the only thing that has worked so far.  HP should pay you and promote your post as the solution, their advice was useless as usual.  Thanks again, it was extremely irritating to have a $1000 laptop I bought a few months ago to have such a major issue.  8.1 was worse and completely crashed/unable to start after a month or two of use  (during finals week of course) and HP tried to charge me $60 for windows recovery media they should provide with the product, as it has been since I have owned computers,or I would have reverted or waited for a stable version of 10.  Not thrilled with their support whatsoever, a forum shouldnt be where major issues are resolved although I fully appreciate the time and effort the users put into this problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks this was the only solution that worked for my HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC. So far i have used it for 12+ hours without any hiccups, the shutdown and restarting works properly. Gonna checkout the lock screen.

Regarding the WIFI : broadcom bcm43142

I rolled back because the previsous driver wasn't giving me any problem but the updated driver was crashing the hardware in a regular basis.

thanks agains.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.