Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My PC uses Ralink Wifi Card, will installing Intel Drivers solve this trouble?

HP Recommended

@Erberderber wrote:

Thanks Dan, I had a look in the devices section and the MEI driver is indeed the 11.0 version. Should I uninstall it or just install the 9.5 from Intel and follow the rest of your instructions?

Follow the steps listed in the first post of this thread.  You should not need to uninstall v11 first...  Simply installing v9 or v10 should overwrite v11 (and some users have reported being unable to install v9 or v10 if another version is not already installed).

Make sure you follow all the steps though, including using the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package to hide updates to the MEI driver; otherwise it will soon automatically update back to v11 and the problem will resurface.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

@Win10UpWk wrote:

My PC uses Ralink Wifi Card, will installing Intel Drivers solve this trouble?

If you're talking about the third issue (with unstable Wifi), it will not...  Those instructions are only for users with Intel 7260/3160 Wireless LAN cards.

If you're talking about the first or second issue (with sleep/shutdown hangups or unsaved touchpad settings), which Wifi card your model features is irrelevant.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Dan, just one final problem. On the 'hide updates' list, an option to select the MEI is not there. There are others such as Intel graphics adapter but not the MEI. What to do?

HP Recommended

@Erberderber wrote:

Thanks again Dan, just one final problem. On the 'hide updates' list, an option to select the MEI is not there. There are others such as Intel graphics adapter but not the MEI. What to do?

This is after you installed v9 or v10 of the MEI driver, correct?

If so, did you set the Windows Update service to Manual before doing so?  If you missed that step, it's likely Windows automatically updated your driver back to v11 before you could block it.

I'd try going through the steps again.  If you have v9 or v10 installed with the Windows Update service set to Manual, you should see the MEI driver update listed when you run the "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter.

HP Recommended

I followed all the steps in order (including switching the update service to manual, which it's still on) this morning.  I have just checked this evening on device manager and the driver I have is now version 10.0 (the one I installed).  I used the computer for over 3 hours this afternoon and it turned off properly when I shut it down (wooohooo!).  I have also checked this evening the "show/hide" troubleshooter.  There are now 7 updates available (as opposed to only 4 this morning), but still no sign of the MEI driver, although as I said before, the MEI in use at the moment according to device manager is the version 10.0 I installed this morning.  Maybe it's just a matter of time before it appears in the "hide/show" troubleshooter, hopefully it will.  Above all though, so far what I've done seems to have done the trick. I'll be keeping an eye on it.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@Erberderber wrote:

I followed all the steps in order (including switching the update service to manual, which it's still on) this morning.  I have just checked this evening on device manager and the driver I have is now version 10.0 (the one I installed).  I used the computer for over 3 hours this afternoon and it turned off properly when I shut it down (wooohooo!).  I have also checked this evening the "show/hide" troubleshooter.  There are now 7 updates available (as opposed to only 4 this morning), but still no sign of the MEI driver, although as I said before, the MEI in use at the moment according to device manager is the version 10.0 I installed this morning.  Maybe it's just a matter of time before it appears in the "hide/show" troubleshooter, hopefully it will.  Above all though, so far what I've done seems to have done the trick. I'll be keeping an eye on it.  Thanks again.

Glad to hear you seem able to sleep and shut down now!

I did the process with v9, and I believe most of the other users here did too...  Perhaps Windows doesn't detect an update when you go with v10 for some reason?

I'd just keep an eye on the troubleshooter to see if the option to block MEI driver updates surfaces, and on which version of the driver you have installed under Device Manager to make sure v11 doesn't sneak its way back onto your computer.  Keep in mind that if you leave the Windows Update service set to Manual, you will have to manually search for and install all updates, including potentially important security updates.

HP Recommended

Hello again Dan,

Just to say that I'm having no more sleep/shut down problems, which is great.  There's just the small matter of the fact that the MEI still hasn't shown up on the show/hide troubleshooter, so I haven't been able to put my update mode back to automatic yet.  I suppose I'll just have to wait and keep an eye on things for the time being, thanks again,

Erb

HP Recommended

@Erberderber wrote:

Hello again Dan,

Just to say that I'm having no more sleep/shut down problems, which is great.  There's just the small matter of the fact that the MEI still hasn't shown up on the show/hide troubleshooter, so I haven't been able to put my update mode back to automatic yet.  I suppose I'll just have to wait and keep an eye on things for the time being, thanks again,

Erb

Odd that it's not showing up, but as long as you're still able to sleep and shut down successfully and v11 is not automatically reinstalling itself on your system, you should be good for the time being.

If you run into problems down the road, it's probably because v11 snuck its way back onto your computer.  If that happens, I'd simply try the process again and hopefully at that point, hiding the MEI update will become an option.

HP Recommended

Yes, if it does that, I will go through the whole procedure again but for now, so far so good.  I've been manually installing any available updates including an important one regarding malware and after doing so, the MEI is still version 10. As said before, it'll just be a case of being on the ball, but will probably become routine over time.  Thank you so much Dan, you've been great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.