Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
stream 13 c110nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptops battery died in the middle of a factory restore. I had been using it as a desktop as the screen is broken. Now the HDMI port does nothing.That is a problem because that was what I plugged the laptop into my moniter  with. all that happens when I turn on the laptop is the screens backlight turns on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the solution to my problem. I just had to remove the broken screen, then the laptop showed the bios screen on my monitor. I succussfully installed ubuntu 16.04, and it runs perfectly. Thanks anyway, though.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @LiamN,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! The Forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the issue with the notebook starting, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that the notebook will no longer start, after shutting down during the System Recovery.

It seems like you may need to perform another System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings.  But first, try reviewing the following document, and let me know how it goes: HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I know I need to re-install an OS (I have an ubuntu usb stick at home), but I can't tell what I need to do in the bios, because the internal desplay is broken. I know How to get to the bios as well. I just need key-for-key instructions on how to BOOT the ubuntu usb stick, because the hdmi port (for some reason) will not work unless the laptop has booted up.

HP Recommended

Hello @LiamN,

Thank you for the quick reply!

You may consider contacting Ubuntu Support, for that information.  However, you can try reviewing the following resource.  Please post back with the results:

Installation/FromUSBStick

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I found the solution to my problem. I just had to remove the broken screen, then the laptop showed the bios screen on my monitor. I succussfully installed ubuntu 16.04, and it runs perfectly. Thanks anyway, though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.