Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hi viki9324

that link not working
same issue here. my laptop want boot without battery
hp pavilion dv6 3037 help me
thank you
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Same issue here----I have an HP DV6700 which I really like----I got a new battery for it as well as a new power adaptor (figuring I'd try process of elimination), but after reading many related articles online, I can't get it to boot up to charge the battery OR run with just the adaptor. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

HP Recommended

@dse365

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the computer is not turning on or is displaying only a black screen whether or not the batter is connected,

To provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Is there a light on the power button, keyboard and/or the charger port?

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you performed any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

In the meantime, you perform the below steps:

If the computer does not start, the LED lights do not glow, and the display is black,
you can perform one or more of the following actions to resolve the no power issue:

(Click on the blue letters to get more details about each step)

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage
  2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector
  3. Start computer using the battery only
  4. Check that the lid switch moves freely
  5. What you can do if the computer still does not start up or boot properly
  6. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps covered in this document, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning.

Eager to help,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

thanks for responding---in an attempt to answer your questions directly, I've reposed them below w/my answers following each.

Is there a light on the power button, keyboard and/or the charger port? The only light is where the adapter plugs into the laptop (blue light surrounding the port)

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).  The model is DV6700 ---is there more to it than that (just let me know)

Have you performed any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums? I've tried tons of other options that others have posted but no luck

In the meantime, you perform the below steps:

If the computer does not start, the LED lights do not glow, and the display is black,
you can perform one or more of the following actions to resolve the no power issue:

(Click on the blue letters to get more details about each step)

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage Adapter is brand new
  2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector This is apparently fine as I have other things I've plugged in that work, plus the afore mentioned blue light surrounding the adapter port when I plug it in
  3. Start computer using the battery only  Doesn't work - before all this occurred, I  first I got the 'plugged in not charging' message and eventually the battery died. I have a new battery , but again, I can't charge it since the laptop won't boot up. I'm trying to find a way to get the battery charged outside the laptop 😞
  4. Check that the lid switch moves freely - No problems here
  5. What you can do if the computer still does not start up or boot properly  (this isn't a question)
  6. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps covered in this document, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning. None of this occurs with or without the battery in it

Thanks again---I appreciate any and all help!

HP Recommended

@dse365

Thank you for replying to my post with the details,
I appreciate the infromation,

Please follow the below steps for a solution:

1. Remove the notebook battery and check the contact points to make sure they are not damaged.

2. Unplug all USB devices from the notebook.

Many notebook models continue to provide power to USB devices through the USB ports, even when the computer is powered off or in a suspended state.

3. Unplug the AC power cable.

4. Insert the battery into the battery compartment on the bottom of the notebook computer.

5. Plug the AC power cable into the computer and into an AC wall outlet, then allow the battery to charge for 15 to 30 minutes.

NOTE:

The power LED, located near the power icon, glows while the battery is charging.

6. Unplug the power adapter cord from the notebook.

7. Press and release the power button to start the computer using only the battery as the power source.

8. If you have a second battery for your computer, replace the original battery with the second battery and perform the troubleshooting steps again.

• If the computer powers on with the second battery and the battery charges correctly, contact HP Customer Support for battery replacement (see Purchasing a Replacement Battery).

• If the problem remains with the new battery, you might need to replace the system board. Contact HP Customer Support for further assistance.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Keep me posted,
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the help! I followed your instruction but it still won't boot up. Again, since the battery was initially not being charged before all this, I think that continues to be the case. I'm going to try tomorrow to a place to see if they can potentially charge it for me for a bit and then try again.

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying,

Ideally, the solution suggested to contact support would help you in getting a replacement battery,

Although since you've decided to have it checked locally,
I wanted to ensure everything has been taken care of,
Please let me know if there’s something else I could do to help you out,

Eager to help,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi

Thanks much for your continued support---over the weekend I couldn't find anyplace that could charge the (new) battery for me, so I ordered a charger which I'm waiting for.
HP Recommended

@dse365

I'm glad it worked out well for you

And I hope you have a great day ahead.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Well it hasn't "worked out well" for me yet as I have no idea if even charging the battery is going to work. I'd also be jumping the gun to mark this as a solution either as nothing's been resolved.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.