Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got the Envy Notebook Core i7, 16 Ram, Windows 10.

HP Support Assistant [?] send me a Message to "Create my System Recovery".

I launched the Recovery Media Creation Utility

The process can be performed just ONE time.

I choose the USB Flash Memory for my media recovery

My flash drive was 16 GBytes.

The process could not be copleted, just send me to a multiple menu were I have the option of: Help - Precautions- Maintenance

I removed the recovery partition (not clear the instructions in the process)

I ended with no Recovery Flash Memory and also I erased the partition from z: were was located the back up image.

It is possible to create a recovery disk...based on what is in c: ?...the computer is running ok, just I want to have a recovery in case something goes wrong in the future.

Thanks,

Bill G1.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bill_G1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Unfortunately, the integrity of the Recovery partition is essential in order to create HP Recovery Media.  Now that, apparently, it is gone, you have no way to do that.

But do not despair -- there are better alternative available for free ...

My suggestion is you consider using a third-party solution known as Macrium Reflect (MR).

I prefer to use third-party recovery solutions for the following reasons:
1) More flexibility and reliabilty -- can make recovery media as often as you like, not restricted to one attempt, which if it fails, then you are stuck.
2) More media options -- can create media in DVD, USB stick, or external drive format
3) Mounting option -- can "mount" the save images as virtual "drives" and extract individual files and folders
4) WinPE boot option -- can install a special boot option that allows you to boot to recovery information and do a repair or restore from there -- when Windows will not boot

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive, USB stick, or DVDs
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore. Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinPE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive, USB or DVDs stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Bill_G1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Unfortunately, the integrity of the Recovery partition is essential in order to create HP Recovery Media.  Now that, apparently, it is gone, you have no way to do that.

But do not despair -- there are better alternative available for free ...

My suggestion is you consider using a third-party solution known as Macrium Reflect (MR).

I prefer to use third-party recovery solutions for the following reasons:
1) More flexibility and reliabilty -- can make recovery media as often as you like, not restricted to one attempt, which if it fails, then you are stuck.
2) More media options -- can create media in DVD, USB stick, or external drive format
3) Mounting option -- can "mount" the save images as virtual "drives" and extract individual files and folders
4) WinPE boot option -- can install a special boot option that allows you to boot to recovery information and do a repair or restore from there -- when Windows will not boot

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive, USB stick, or DVDs
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore. Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinPE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive, USB or DVDs stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

WaWood,

Thank you very much for your fast response, I will try this procedure and  I 'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Bill G1

HP Recommended

WaWood,

I followed the procedure  you send me and it works fine, Thank you.

The software reflect is installed in my computer, every time I start up or reboot the LapTop, it ask to choose for the operating system, Windows 10 or Macrium. I want to remove Reflect because slow down the start up process.

I have another question for you:

Once I remove Reflect, I will be able to recover my LapTop using my recovery media created by reflect ?

Regads.

Bill G1

HP Recommended

@Bill_G1

If you remove Reflect, you will not longer have the option to an online Recovery of your PC, should anything go wrong.  To me, that is one of the most valuable features of MR. 

And yes, you will then have to use the MR boot media to boot your PC to do restores.

Also, you can go into the startup menu and make the primary OS the default and set a wait time, so it automatically boots into the OS without you having to select anything.

I have mine set up that way and have a delay of 10 seconds, which gives me ample time to choose a boot alternative.

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.