Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy x360
Linux

Hi,

I've picked up a couple of these x360's with the amd 4700U. Its a pretty nice piece of hardware but the BIOS seems to be crippled by HP, and its causing problems with standby in linux (and actually it appears to happen with win10 too).

Basically if I close the lid or put the machine into "sleep" mode it cannot enable S3 Standby, so the battery continues to drain at a much higher rate than one would expect.

Decoding the ACPI/DSDT table I see that there is an option for _S3, but it appears to be guarded by a BIOS control. So, presumably there is a hidden menu in the BIOS to enable this, but HP seems to have a policy not to give these out, and the F10+A option goes to the bios, but I don't see any further menu items.

I've been on the phone with HP support for a couple hours now, they have told me a lot of things, including that installing linux on their laptops voids they warranty...

Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jrli 

That's news to me about VOIDING the warranty as that was not my previous understanding.

However, what is and has been true is that HP does not support Linux, so if you replace the OS or add a Linux distro, then you are on your own regarding support, as you will not get any from HP.

Your best bet then is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you have installed.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I am one of the people supporting this particular distro, and I can see the problem in the ACPI tables. So at this point its 100% a BIOS problem if it doesn't publish the capability properly. Although its probably not even a BIOS bug, as I'm assuming there is an option in the hidden/advanced menus (otherwise why is there a control block around the standby stanza). One of the HP support people basically said as much right before my connection was lost.

I can post the DSDT snippet if anyone is really interested.

PS: AFAIK, this isn't even an uncommon problem because its a cross between the windows requirements, and HP hiding everything in hidden/secret menus.

Edit: As a ref there is this https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/ACPI-Problem-Can-t-suspend-to-...

which is basically the same thing, and the user simply edited out the bits in the DSDT keeping it from activating, but that didn't fix the problem because presumably if there is a BIOS option the ACPI tables are just reflecting it being enabled/disabled by the firmware. So there are likely firmware calls that need to be enabled before it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.