Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP-f010wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After I updated to Windows 10 it seems that all dirvers were updated as well. Now the settings won't save everytime I shut down my laptop. Can someone help me with this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

ok, after one million restarts of my laptop, I have finally worked out how to resolve this issue!

1. Ensure your automatic updates settings are so that the subsequent steps arent completed in vain
  2. Go to Device Manager (use Cortana search box to find it, if you like)
  3. Select "Mice and other pointing devices"
  4. open the Synaptics SMBus Touchpad dialogue box
  5. click Update Driver
  6. click Browse my computer for driver software
  7. click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. select and install Synaptics SMBus Touchpad version 18.1.48.59 [26/03/2015]
  9. don't forget about those pesky automatic updates
  10. restart computer
  11. set Synaptics options, test, restart computer test again

I hope this works for you guys! 

Spoiler
Spoiler
:OpenSmile:

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
HP Recommended

Hi there, I'm having the same issue - driving me round the bend.

Any joy at your end?

HP Recommended

No, I don't like using 2 fingers to scroll I just want one finger. Hopefully someone has a solution. I already tried uninstalling it, and it didn't fix it.

HP Recommended

Similar issue here. If someone finds a Synaptics driver that works for the HP Envy series of laptops. In the meantime, any hidden settings we can tweak?

Donald

HP Recommended

ok, after one million restarts of my laptop, I have finally worked out how to resolve this issue!

1. Ensure your automatic updates settings are so that the subsequent steps arent completed in vain
  2. Go to Device Manager (use Cortana search box to find it, if you like)
  3. Select "Mice and other pointing devices"
  4. open the Synaptics SMBus Touchpad dialogue box
  5. click Update Driver
  6. click Browse my computer for driver software
  7. click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. select and install Synaptics SMBus Touchpad version 18.1.48.59 [26/03/2015]
  9. don't forget about those pesky automatic updates
  10. restart computer
  11. set Synaptics options, test, restart computer test again

I hope this works for you guys! 

Spoiler
Spoiler
:OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

When I open that box in device manager I don't have anything installed called "Synaptics SMBus Touchpad." Mine is called Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad. I went to update driver, browse system, and I don't see the build your on. 

HP Recommended

the issue is that win10 installs a newer driver for your mouse pad than the one your previous operating system was on... if you go back to that previous driver you should be back in business. If you have the computer install CD it'll be on there, probably! With my HP the original driver is stored on the computer.

there is also another option in win10 to view updates history, which i'm sure you can use to revert back to your original driver... Windows Updates > Advanced Options > View your update history - Try that? 

HP Recommended

If the HP support application actually worked on my laptop, I would just go in there and reinstall the previous driver.

I had thought about installing the Synaptics versioin 16 driver for Windows 8.1 but I'm not yet familiar with where things are stored or how they are accessed in WIn 10 yet as I just upgraded a couple of hours ago.

If I remember correctly, when installing a synaptics driver, you ahve to uninstall the previuos one.

If anyone wants to try it at their own risk, here's the Synaptics ver 16 setup file:

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v16_2_21_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Win8.zip

Donald

HP Recommended

Nothing seems to work.

HP Recommended

I found an answer to the backwards scrolling.

http://hmemcpy.com/2013/12/how-to-change-two-finger-scroll-direction-in-synaptics-touchpad/

Hope it helps someone else.

Donald

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.