Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp dv6-1355dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Computer acting funny and running slow. Did a factory recovery from the computer ( I could not get the hp recovery disks  to work (dv6-1149wm)) Everything loaded alright. Did a windows update of 17 updates, all went well computer started running slow again. Battery has been removed a while ago, some how it would interfear with the wireless internet The computer has one security program, McAFee, aol, & internet exployer. So before the recovery, the internet would keep droping off. So I loaded Belkin N750 program with adapter to give it a stronger range and keep it from kicking me off. How do I get the hp recovery disks to work, since powering up with it in the drive didn't work? Do the recovery disks do a more complete (or deeper) recovery than recovering from the computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rlindsasr wrote:

Computer acting funny and running slow. Did a factory recovery from the computer ( I could not get the hp recovery disks  to work (dv6-1149wm)) Everything loaded alright. Did a windows update of 17 updates, all went well computer started running slow again. Battery has been removed a while ago, some how it would interfear with the wireless internet The computer has one security program, McAFee, aol, & internet exployer. So before the recovery, the internet would keep droping off. So I loaded Belkin N750 program with adapter to give it a stronger range and keep it from kicking me off. How do I get the hp recovery disks to work, since powering up with it in the drive didn't work? Do the recovery disks do a more complete (or deeper) recovery than recovering from the computer?

Hi,

This laptop series is quite old so the hard drive might be a bit less reliable than new. If you want the recovery disks to work you have to change the boot priority to CD/DVD drive as the first. Press esc at startup when it shows the message at the bottom of the screen and then F11 for the boot options. I'd change it permanently in the BIOS (esc and then F10).

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Rlindsasr wrote:

Hi,

This laptop series is quite old so the hard drive might be a bit less reliable than new. If you want the recovery disks to work you have to change the boot priority to CD/DVD drive as the first. Press esc at startup when it shows the message at the bottom of the screen and then F11 for the boot options. I'd change it permanently in the BIOS (esc and then F10).

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.