Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15-j0000
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I want to install windows 10 x64 using a usb flash drive. But im very bit confused about the uefi and legacy issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Vikesh_navin

The basic issue is that newer machines have UEFI while older machines use BIOS.

Any PC build after Win8 came out will most likely have UEFI; those built before, will have BIOS.

The Win10 install media you build from the MS site will include UEFI boot files by default, so if your PC uses UEFI, that it what it will utilize for the installation.

Legacy mode is a way to emulate the older BIOS, but it does not always work.

Here's a link with some information on UEFI:  http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

Your best approach is to build Win10 media using this link:  Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Vikesh_navin

The basic issue is that newer machines have UEFI while older machines use BIOS.

Any PC build after Win8 came out will most likely have UEFI; those built before, will have BIOS.

The Win10 install media you build from the MS site will include UEFI boot files by default, so if your PC uses UEFI, that it what it will utilize for the installation.

Legacy mode is a way to emulate the older BIOS, but it does not always work.

Here's a link with some information on UEFI:  http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

Your best approach is to build Win10 media using this link:  Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. I sucessful installed windows 10 in uefi mode. 

HP Recommended

Glad to see you succeded.

HP Recommended

Ik heb een problem met geen apparaat  voor geluidsweergave geînstalleerd

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.