Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This is exactly what is going on with mine.  It is a work lap top that was purchased in July of 2014.  When dragging around it highlights text randomly, deletes, windows randomly minimize when trying to move around on the screen.  Its incredibly annoying...

HP Recommended

If you are technically savy enough to experiment with some different driver versions please give these methods a try. Unfortunately i do not have my laptop at this time or i would be trying all these. These suggestions were made a few pages back if you want to go back and see them context.

Suggestion 1 - -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to mouse properties (device manager), select update driver, and then manual update and then choose from a list.

"I'm currently using Synaptics PS2 Port Compatible Touchpad. So far, no glitches and I have recovered some of those advanced functions."

Also you can try to use synaptics original drivers, found at their website,

Synaptics PS/2 Port Compatible Touchpad
Provider: Synaptics
Driver date: 21-apr-2014
Driver version: 18.1.7.8
Digital Signature: Microsof windows hardware compatibility publisher

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestion2

---------------------------

Any one else who has time to try here is the direct link to the alternate driver:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/419hq88y7psw2fs/PR1196324-tm2054-002.img

Im not sure that it will work, and it may not even install. 

The steps one might have to take would be:

-To burn extract the driver from this .img, or burn the .img.

-You might have to uninstall all current synaptics drivers and then manually apply this one.

If anyone tries it report back please :smileyhappy:

Edit:

Here are some further instructions:

1- Downloaded SP65951. and extracted it (using winrar).

2- Placed the image file (PR1196324-tm2054-002.img) in the same directory as (SynReflash64.exe).

3- Ran CMD as Administrator and moved to the folder where SynReflash64.exe is located.

4- Executed C:\SP65951\SynReflash64.exe /s PR1196324-tm2054-002.img

5- Followed instructions (it took about 2.5 minutes to flash).

6- Rebooted the computer but the Touchpad did not work, tried to uninstall the Synaptics driver (16.5.3.3) but it failed.

7- renistalled the Synaptics driver 16.5.3.3 again (successfully) and rebooted.

8- All is working fine.

HP Recommended

@twbeechem wrote:

This is exactly what is going on with mine.  It is a work lap top that was purchased in July of 2014.  When dragging around it highlights text randomly, deletes, windows randomly minimize when trying to move around on the screen.  Its incredibly annoying...

If you do try suggestion 1 please report back your findings.

HP Recommended

So after trying everything in this thread and finding that nothing worked, I finally managed to fix the problem on my envy 15t by installing a driver that i found at:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-drivers-software-forum/660858-drivers-hp-dv4-5xxx-dv6-7xxx-dv7-7x...

I previously had the 18.1.7.8 driver installed (which is the one I got from HP's website, and I think was the one that came with the compuer). I uninstalled that driver and installed driver 18.1.7.9 from that link. It's the download listed on that page as ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66570.exe and I haven't seen any issues yet.

Hope this helps - I've been so frustrated with this the over the past couple of weeks and I'm ecstatic to finally find a driver that works, I feel like I've tried installing  a dozen

HP Recommended
Hopefully it helps...because we've heard many times that installing another drive works TEMPORARILY ...I really hope this solves the problem, but at this point I'm convinced it is a hardware problem. I have noticed that with the change in weather and the air being dryer the problem happens a lot less..it's with humid weather that it gets all crazy..but i dont know thee are all conjetures..
HP Recommended
How long have you been using that driver?

I encourage everyone to give this driver a try: (found by countchocula):

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66570.exe

Test it for a few days/ weeks and report back your findings if it truly works there should be practically zero issues.
HP Recommended

Well, I must say that we might have the solution here folks.. i installed these drivers that countchocula found and its been 45 minutes and i havent had any issues. i know this is not days or weeks of use, but of a problem that usually would take 5-20 minutes to appear i must say this is progress!..so lets wait..i will definietly post back after a couple of days or as soon as i get a hicup from the touchpad.

ps: it feels reaaaaaly weird to use the trackpad expecting something crazy to happen but nothing happens hahaha! awesome!

HP Recommended
Lol fantastic! I really reallly reallllyy hope this is the fix!

@carlosj_2009

Just for reference did u just install that driver directly ontop of the original driver? Or what was your process?
HP Recommended

I tried unistalling the driver device_manager->right-click-on-driver->uninstall then it would ask u to restarr the computer and i did but windows would keep installing it autimatically once it restart. So i did it again without restarting this time and went and installed the drivers that countchocula found and then restarted.

I really hope this solves the problem because i really like this laptop and unfortunatelly ive been doing what HP suggested.... -.-" using an external mouse....

HP Recommended

Hello guys! As promised here I am writing about my experience with the drivers found by countchocula.

YESSS! This is finally a Real solution to this Thread. It's been 24hours since i installed the drivers and its been great; for the first time since i bought the laptop i was able to use it completely without having to use an external mouse. However, our problem is only solve 99% because there are still some glitches I've found, which I hope or perhaps a newer version of these drivers can solve. That being said it feel awesome to know that this is only a Software problem and not a Hardware problem as many (me included) had thought.

OK so here it is:

-Moving the cursor (using only one finger on the trackpad) is perfect. this is what we have been asking for. there is no craziness anymore and it responds as it should. Great!

-Scrolling Up/Down works great 99% of the times. most of the times the trackpad detects that u are using two fingers and that you want to scroll; however, sometimes (which are rare but existent times) it is like the trackpad only detects one of your fingers and when you try to scroll by moving you finger up/down the cursor goes up/down. for this all i have to do is just try again by taking my fingers off the track pad and putting them back on to scroll. its something minor but its there and sometimes its annoying.

-Selecting text or dragging and icon: Now here is where these drivers need to be checked and fixed. its bad!!!!! Whenever i try to select text by double-tapping the trackpad and moving it to the sides, sometimes it doesn't detect it so the only thing it does is selecting a single word or just moving the cursor to where you clicked; the same thing happens when you try to drag an icon: it would just click on the icon but you wouldn't be able to move it. It works some of the times, but more often than not you have to try several times until you get it. 

Now the big problem comes when you try to do both of the things mentioned above (selecting text or dragging an icon) but using the physical button on the trackpad. This is by using both of your hands, with one hand you click the button and with the other you move the cursor to select the text or move the icon you had clicked on (I'm sure a lot of people do this, it gives you more control without having to stop selecting or dropping the icon where you don't want). The reason I'm saying this is where the big problem comes is because whenever I try to do that the trackpad goes to a state as if it had the original drivers we had before; it goes crazy and when it doesn't jump around it feel very heavy, like you could slide you finger through the whole trackpad and it would only move an inch on your screen. I don't know why this happens but it is really annoying. For a second I thought my happiness was over and that it was going to go back to its usually behavior, but after a couple seconds of being crazy and feeling heavy , etc. it came back to normal.

As far as the other features on the trackpad like pinch to zoom, or the control zone borders, or all the other stuff that this trackpad can do, all i can say is that i haven't tried them. I usually like to keep the track pad simple and the only feature I use is scrolling. But you guys can go ahead and try them and post your experiences with them.

So that's it folks, unless i find something else really relevant that's all i have for now. Like I said before, It's not perfect but it makes the laptop usable (finally!).

Now it would be great if a real HP Expert could modify the drivers offered on the driver's page for this laptop model and update it with these drivers that actually work. They should also try to completely fix these drivers so that we can have a flawless experience. It would be greatly appreciated.

The link to the drivers is this:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66570.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.