06-11-2014 05:52 PM
Yesterday, Google Chrome automatically disabled all extensions not available from their webstore on my PC. This included simplepass extension. It cannot be re-enabled. Apparently this is a new policy change from google.
It was understood that they were going to block new extensions, but they made the policy effective to installed extensions as well.
Is there a known work around or is a solution in progess?
This question was solved. View Solution.
06-12-2014 07:14 PM - edited 06-12-2014 07:19 PM
Welcome to the HP Forums!
I apologize that your SimplePass extension is no longer working with Chrome. I am going to start off with some basic steps, first, as well as some theory I have that could help:
1. Uninstall your current version of HP SimplePass and install this one (even if it's the same) : HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software Version 220.127.116.116
2. If that doesn't help: (This one is more of a workaround than anything)
a) Go to Settings in Chrome. Look for the "Extensions" menu, and click on "Get more extensions".
b) In the Chrome Web Store, search for "SimplePass" and it should appear under Extensions. Click on "+ Free" to install it, then try using it.
3. You can try to reset Chrome to default settings: Reset browser settings
4. System Restore, just because time travel is sometimes useful: System Restore
5. Try the steps in an Incognito window (yes, I just suggested that). Incognito mode disables all extensions by default (at least it's supposed to). You can re-enable all extensions, including Website login ones.
6. Download and install an older version of Chrome, then try to get SimplePass and website login extensions working: Old Version of Google Chrome
If none of this helps, then I'm going to suggest some complex steps. This requires working in Developer Mode.
1. Go into Developer Mode through the Extensions menu.
2. Note the extension ID (For example, jilhkcaiaaepfiajaebpkmhonmfgabhf)
3. Go to C://Users/-name of user account-/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User/Data/Default/Ext
4. Copy that file path.
5. Go back to the Extension Menu of Chrome, and click on "Load unpacked extension...". Paste or search the above file path and hit Enter.
6. The extension should now be re-created and enabled (or able to be enable). You may need to restart the computer.
Please respond with your results of this troubleshooting. I want to crack this case for you
06-14-2014 05:31 AM
Thanks for the support. Some feedback.
Uninstall and re-install did not work. The extension was sill disabled.
I deleted the extension then downloaded and re-installed from chrome webstore. This seems to have worked but the version number appears to be the same that was automatically disabled by google. I do not know how often google checks extensions, but I am not sure that google will not disable again.
Hopefully I will not have to try other steps. I've heard developer mode can be a bit unstable. I'll post back if google again disables the extension.
The new policy has generated some serious discontent over the control given to google. There have been a few cases where users have reported extensions automatically disabled that were downloaded from their webstore.
Perhaps whatever checks google uses are a bit too aggressive and picking up valid extensions. However, the fact that google implemented this policy for "user protection" may result in uninstalling chrome altogether. I can think for myself. I hope google abandons this new policy. These policies are one reason that I will never buy anything from apple.
I've heard developer mode is a bit unstable. I hope I do not need to do that.
06-14-2014 05:45 AM
Correction to my previous reply. The version on the old extension was 6.0.100 (same as the simplepass version) Version on new extension is 18.104.22.168.
The specific message from google on the old extension was "The extension is not listed in the Chrome Web Store and may have been added withou your knowledge." I stored a snapshot when this occured earlier in the week.
Again, I don't need google to think for me.
06-16-2014 04:10 PM
this doesn't work. For many reasons. The old extension cannot be manually added to Chrome. First off the extenson Manifest version must be '2' so that must be added manually to the manifest.json file in the extension folder. Secondly, the "background": statement in the extensions is no longer supported by Chrome. So please stop giving out this advice on adding an unpacked extension. IT DOES NOT WORK FOR SIMPLE PASS.
Next off, the new extension you are telling us to go find in the Chrome store DOES NOT WORK, and it SPECIFICALLY SAYS IT REQUIRES SIMPLEPASS 8.01.14 in order to function.
The bottom line is there is no workaround that you have offered that works. We need the new version of SimplePass, ASAP, and considering how massive the HP website is, WE NEED A DIRECT LINK TO THE DOWNLOAD. Please provide the fix asap, and please stop posting this bogus workaround info.
This is the SECOND TIME in a year that Simplepass has stopped working with Chrome. It is a MAJOR HASSLE and one that if not remedied immediately, will have serious consequences for my future purchases of laptops, servers, enterprise storage etc. i.e. - I won't be considering HP.
07-16-2014 08:08 AM
If you follow the directions Google Chrome gives you by installing the Dev version of Chrome, it also works flawlessly with what you already have installed.
11-14-2014 10:48 AM - edited 11-14-2014 10:49 AM
Developer mode was always a lame fix, more of a workaround than a solution. There are a lot of caveats to running Devmode, not many of them very appealing.
The best fix is to run Windows Group Policy extensions for the standard distribution of Chrome and whitelist the Simplepass plugin, but you need a Pro or better Windows edition to use Group Policy. Even better would be for HP to put out Simplepass software and a matching plugin in the Chrome Store that works together.
11-14-2014 03:02 PM
Thanks Steve. I did eventually get Simplepass to work in dev mode so will stick with that for the time being and go with your solution otherwise. I don't know why HP doesn't do as you suggested.
01-07-2015 04:20 PM
1- make sure u r install V 22.214.171.1246 of simple pass
2- go to setting in chrome - extension - make the developer mode active
3- wow it's work right now
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)