Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  Everything was working fine until 2 days ago. 

I saw "Website Logon" extension but could not enable it, so I deleted it and tried to install it again.  I could not find it under Chrome Extensions.  I see SimplePass extension, but it doesn't work.

Does anyone know how I find the "Website Logon" extension.  I think it might be ChromeBHOExt.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I just got a notice from Chrome tonight 6/9/14 (and i actually used SimplePass earlier today) saying that the extension has been disabled because it's not in the Chrome webstore.  I would not install extention from Softex Inc. that is listed as a simplepass extension, as it is not from HP and seems like a huge security risk.  But it seems silly to me that the newest chrome will not allow me to accept the current extension that has been working fine for months (years?).  And it seems a little silly to me that the rep from HP on this thread is missing the point (at least as of this week).  Did google inform developers that this security measure was coming?  If so, HP dropped the ball by not creating an extension in the Chrome webstore.  If they don't do one quick, I'll know where they stand in their commitment to supporting their products.  I've had 2-3 issues with SimplePass.   And I've had to go to AuthenTec to get the latest software that still wasn't on HP's support site 9 MONTHS later (not sure it is, even now. wouldn't matter in this case, though).  Hurdles. Hurdles. and more hurdles.

HP Recommended

The rep is absolutely missing the point. It looks like Google disabled every single extension that is not listed in their store...pissing off a good number of people as seen here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!topic/chrome/d35tIyH8dVM...

HP Recommended

SimplePass works with IE, so I'm going back to IE.  So long Chrome.  It was nice while it lasted.

HP Recommended

A perfect solution I found was switching to Chromium browser (http://chromium.woolyss.com/). Works just fine, only thing is, the browser does not update automatically. You would have to check back on this link (http://chromium.woolyss.com/) for further updates.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I am going to address the Chrome and Fingerprint-reading extension issue. I have already solved the exact issue for one user using the steps in this thread: Chrome Policy - disabled Simplepass extension

As well, @agentg1001  provided a good suggestion. You can also use SimplePass on Internet Explorer and FireFox. Although, if you want to try to get Chrome working again, you can try the steps I suggested.

Here are of the steps from the thread:

1. Uninstall your current version of HP SimplePass and install this one (even if it's the same)   : HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software Version 6.0.100.276

2. If that doesn't help:    (This one is more of a workaround than anything)

a) Go to Settings in Chrome. Look for the "Extensions" menu, and click on "Get more extensions".

b) In the Chrome Web Store, search for "SimplePass" and it should appear under Extensions. Click on "+ Free" to install it, then try using it.

3. You can try to reset Chrome to default settings: Reset browser settings

4. System Restore, just because time travel is sometimes useful: System Restore

5. Try the steps in an Incognito window (yes, I just suggested that). Incognito mode disables all extensions by default (at least it's supposed to). You can re-enable all extensions, including Website login ones.

6. Download and install an older version of Chrome, then try to get SimplePass and website login extensions working: Old Version of Google Chrome

If none of this helps, then I'm going to suggest some complex steps. This requires working in Developer Mode.

1. Go into Developer Mode through the Extensions menu.

2. Note the extension ID (For example, jilhkcaiaaepfiajaebpkmhonmfgabhf)

3. Go to C://Users/-name of user account-/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User/Data/Default/Extensions/-extension ID-/1.8 (or another number is you have a different number)

4. Copy that file path.

5. Go back to the Extension Menu of Chrome, and click on "Load unpacked extension...". Paste or search the above file path and hit Enter.

6. The extension should now be re-created and enabled (or able to be enable). You may need to restart the computer.

These steps should be enough to resolve the issue, according to what experimentation I've done. For the sake of this issue, please let me know what happens after trying each step.

I will continue to monitor this thread, while playing around with Chrome and SimplePass to possibly discover more solutions. Please let me know your results. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

SuperMario1 wrote:

1. Go into Developer Mode through the Extensions menu.

2. Note the extension ID (For example, jilhkcaiaaepfiajaebpkmhonmfgabhf)

3. Go to C://Users/-name of user account-/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User/Data/Default/Extensions/-extension ID-/1.8 (or another number is you have a different number)

4. Copy that file path.

5. Go back to the Extension Menu of Chrome, and click on "Load unpacked extension...". Paste or search the above file path and hit Enter.

6. The extension should now be re-created and enabled (or able to be enable). You may need to restart the computer.

I didn't like the looks of all the easy steps, so i went for the hard step at the end.  It didn't work at first. So I restarted. Still didn't work. So i performed them again. IT WORKS!!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@pokey ,

Thanks for the response, and the feedback! It's good to know this is working out 🙂

Mario

HP Recommended

I see the extension ID (kanflfepiobnpjbljmngfgegijhdpljm) when I am in developer mode, but I don't see a file with that ID.  The closest I found is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\35.0.1916.153\default_apps\external_extensions.json

I even search on "kanflfepiobnpjbljmngfgegijhdpljm" but didn't find anything.  I'm open to more suggestions.

HP Recommended

Hello @mellman ,

I noticed you are going to the incorrect file-path. You should not be looking in Program Files. Here is an example path:

C://Users/-name of user account-/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User/Data/Default/Extensions/-extension ID-/

But please let me know if this path does not exist, or if there isn't a folder for the extension ID.

Mario

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.