Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had the same issue with having to manually reboot after the laptop went into sleep mode after installing Windows 10.

Just followed Ginger18's steps to restore the Bios settings and the problem was solved for me as well. Took 30 seconds to fix.

M.

HP Recommended

@ sambul17:

you wrote:

"set "Turn off hard disk after" value to lower time period than "Sleep after" value. It must be set like this even for SSD drives"

What do you mean with "Sleep after"?

I guess you mean "hibernating" in section "Saving Energy" which is anyway set to 180 min per default.

Or do you mean something else?

I am asking since I need to translate everthing to German language 😉

/mission10

HP Recommended

@mloub: Restoring BIOS to default doesn't help 😉

/mission10

HP Recommended
  1. Download version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.
    • NOTE: You do NOT need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10.  The presence of some version of the driver is required in order to "upgrade" (or in this case downgrade) it.
  5. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the driver.)
  6. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Rejoice!  You can finally sleep and shut down again.  Smiley Happy

--DanG

HP Recommended

This is neither a problem of HP nor Microsoft.

The culprit is Intel. Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface driver to 9.5.24.1790 (search Intel site).

I had same problem on my Pavilion 15-n208tx. Running alright after the aforesaid downgrade since last two days.

The problem is with Intel Management Engine Interface driver ver 11x.

Download driver fom https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25096/Intel-ME-11-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC

:TongueOut: Both the Shutdown & Sleep problem solved... (verified)

thanx

HP Recommended

Downgrading Intel MEI tells me during the installation that at least one of the processes could not be started and installation fails.

Installation stopped at "Process will be created: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe

Which process I have to kill in order to get the Intel MEI downgraded?

/mission10

HP Recommended

Hmm, I haven't seen that issue before...  You're using the method I posted, correct?

If so, you could try uninstalling v11 of the MEI driver from Device Manager (and checking the option to delete the driver software) and then restarting your computer (with the Windows Update Service still set to Automatic), which should force a clean install of v11.  Then start over with the instructions to go from v11 down to v9/v10.

HP Recommended

DanG82, you are great. Thank you. It worked perfect. Finally, I regained the control over my laptop's functionality. It's rather difficult when the users have to deal with three (at least) parties: Microsoft, Intel and HP.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear it!  🙂

HP Recommended

DanG82,

yes, I was using your method.

In the meanwhile I fixed it 😉

I had a completely fresh Windows 10 system and I had updated manually all available driver/software packages for my laptop (incl. Intel MEI 11.x).

Uninstalling  the MEI 11 for WIN 10 and installing the MEI 9.x package for WIN8.1 worked and solved finally this annoying issue.

Thanks a lot for this solution and I hope that Intel is working on this scrap. I should sent Intel an invoice about all these spent hours and about the fact that the PC was not usable at all.

Finally I can complete the setup now for my primary laptop.

/mission10

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.