Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Everyone call up hp support open a case and try as hard as you can to get a refund or full replacement.

They obviously are not able to fix this problem. After 3 months of contact with hp, getting my case elevated, having to send my laptop in twice as well as having a contractor come to my home to try  and fix the issue -in which they failed- was able to receive a full replacement.

COMPLAIN

The first time i sent my Envy in they reproduced the problem and replaced the hard drive.

Second time i sent it in they reproduced the problem and just sent it back.I even sent specific instruction typed up for the technician to replace the motherboard and touchpad and nothing was done.

My case manager wanted me to send it back again for a third time and i declined, then i was offered to have someone come to my home. The contractor came took apart my Envy checked the connections of the touchpad to the motherboard and concluded that they could do nothing.

Now i have a Pavilion which works great and my Envy is off to be disposed of at the hp recycling center.

HP Recommended
As i mentioned above, i sent it for a second time and if the problem persists im sending it yet a third time and after this ill be looking for a refund or a replacement for another model.

Now youre saying you got a refund? Did you buy your laptop through HP or a retailers?? Im asking this because in the other thread i referenced above two people were able to get a refund, but these people both bought their laptop through their company having some kind of arrangement with HP.

Bottom line, can you receive a refund even if you bough your laptop say at Best Buy???
HP Recommended

Hi Carlos,

I would think that it should not matter where you bought it. Their warranty

is the same, and in this case it is really in my opinion a lemon law that should kick in.

I have seen HP Envy's that work and I have owned and seen others "yours" that don't work.

That means there are lemons out there like yours and mine.

HP Recommended

Can you describe the Envy laptop you got?  What are these specs?

I have a pretty high envy laptop that has the magic-moving-cursor problem, and after it still has this after the trackpad is replaced, I am returning while I can (thankfuly!!).  I am erasing its hard disk today, and sending it back to HP to do with this piece of junk as they please. 

But is there something different about your laptop? Or maybe it is just the case that this problem is randomly distributed through this large population of Envy laptops, and it is just the luck of the draw whether you get a laptop that works or one that doesn't.

Hard is might be, it sounds like they need some special robotic simulation for each and every laptop that simulates a real user's use of the trackpad, in order to weed out these broken machines. At present, it just sounds that HP customers must perform this testing function themselves.   

HP Recommended
Yeah Jeff, I understand that. The reason i ask is because in the case i could get a refund i dont know how to go about it since i bought the computer from someone else, i dont have, say, a best buy receipt with the amount i paid or an order number.. All i have is the ebay transaction.

@sfgower, My laptop (most of our laptops, since this thread is for a specific model) is the HP Envy m6-n012dx.
As far as the specs go its
Intel i5-4200M
8gb ram
750gb hdd
Control zone touchpad
Etc, You can find the specs online.

In im particular case..ive been using the laptop for two days now (not the whole day but a few hours each day because i work most of thr day) and i gotta admit that its fine now. I dont get any crazy behavior.
The inly different thing they did this time around is that in the sheet they send the laptop wit, it said that in addition to changing the touch pad, they also change thr touch pad cable.

If this is accurate, and my laptop in, say, a couple of weeks/months/years is still fine then its deff a static problem and not a software problem as some thought.
However, im still skeptical about the results and if an HP guy calls me to ask how the laptop is, ill tell him i havent tested it out enough to tell so i can try it for a few more days.
HP Recommended
oh crap, after 2 weeks of using my laptop, the glitch returned!! but only if I boot my laptop with flashdrives or external hard drives or any usb devices attached before booting..

I also experienced the double clicking problem that after 1 click the mouse cursor moves slight downwards so the double click will fail...

This is quite annoying since this is the 2nd time I will return my laptop to HP..
HP Recommended

Interesting what you write about replacing the *cable*.  A static problem. That's not anything I've read before on these forum.

Wow. If I heard about that even a week ago, I could have asked HP to replace both the tracking pad and the cable. Maybe even the cable would have sufficed?

Of course you aren't even sure yourself quite yet that this really is a fix, until you've used it some more. Solid attitude. If you actually find it really fixed the problem, then maybe it is something that others could try.  If more than two people find that replacing their  cable fixes the problem,  that would be something....   It would be the first glimmer that there is a fix.

But it is all academic now for me. I have until Sunday to ship my Envy laptop back, and I am not taking any chances... My Envy's hard disk is being wiped clean as I write this, and in a few hours, it will back in its box, get the HP return label taped to it, and go to FedEx to get shipped back to HP.   

I try to keep this all in perspective...

HP is a good company. They're a lot of great people there, and it has a very solid history. 

Just hope that someone there will get around to helping other HP customers with this problem...

HP Recommended

Good news.

So after calling HP and spending hours on hold i finally got in touch with a case manager. After explaining her the details of my case she agreed that in this case the only thing to do was to give a replacement.

She said that she would look up for a model that was similar in specs.

Since you had your computer replaced, maybe you can give me some info on how the process works and what to expect. Also to help me pick up a model in case i need to do it. she said she would look up the computers, but in case i have a choice id like to choose wisely.

any chance you can give me a hand!?

HP Recommended

@Carlosj_2009 wrote:

Good news.

So after calling HP and spending hours on hold i finally got in touch with a case manager. After explaining her the details of my case she agreed that in this case the only thing to do was to give a replacement.

She said that she would look up for a model that was similar in specs.

Since you had your computer replaced, maybe you can give me some info on how the process works and what to expect. Also to help me pick up a model in case i need to do it. she said she would look up the computers, but in case i have a choice id like to choose wisely.

any chance you can give me a hand!?

I'm so happy for you!!

My case manager seemed to almost kind of leave it up to me for what model i wanted to replace it with. But right away she came out and mentioned the HP ENVY - 15-k118nr. I was skeptical at first because I saw that this model also has the control zone touchpad, But after looking at the specs and looking at how recent a model it was. It was too good to pass up. It had double the ram (16gb), an i7 processor (instead of i5), an actual nvidia graphics card, an SSD, still had a backlit keyboard, among other great specs.

It is just ever-so-slightly thicker and heavier than the  HP Envy m6 that i originally had. The controlzone touchpad has have abosolutely 0 issues for over a month now.

I did not discuss any other models with my case manager because this model was prebuilt ready to ship  and i needed it in a matter of days. Although she was very nice and may have allowed me to pretty much get whatever I wanted. With HP there only seems to be so many models, So I would take this time to consider if you want more of an ultrabook or stay with the Envy line.. etc. I really wish i would have recieved a refund and been able to purchase the new dell XPS 13 ultrabook, but im more than happy with the amazing replacement I recieved.

The process was fast, because i requested She emailed me some sort of confirmation email to which i replied. Then she sent me shipping information within the next day or so. She also sent me a Fedex shipping label with which i returned the old laptop.

Here is a link to the model I recieved: http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-envy-notebook---15-k118nr-%28ener...

Here is what looks like their most expensive HP Eny model. With the new 5th gen i7 processor, and r/w blurary drive. I dont know if they would allow you to get this or not. I suppose no harm in starting with the best and then working your way down if they say no?

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-envy---15t-best-value-laptop-l8c6...

HP Recommended
Haha yeah im happy too! I mean whoever goes through the struggle of a bad touchpad for almost a year deserves this. But this makes me so happy 🙂

I know, I checked their website and they don't have many models to choose from.

I saw your model, its pretty robust in terms of specs. I wouldn't like however for it to be heavier or thicker than the M6 model. I can't imagine a heavier laptop but we'll see.

Another question, was your model new or refurbished?? And what's the warranty on this replacement model? Just wanna know in case the laptop come with some unsolvable touchpad problem lol.

In my case like I said she said she would check the available models and then shed let me know on Monday. However ill do my homework over the weekend in case I'm able to choose a specific model!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.