Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hey it's been a month since I reinstalled my HP Envy's Control Zone touchpad and it still works just fine.

I don't suggest anyone take their laptops apart, since a screw might get lost or something.

All I did was remove the touchpad from my laptop and carefully reinstall it, without over-tightening screws.

It still has the stock Synaptics driver; I haven't experienced any more erratic mouse behaviour.

I'm happy with my HP Envy laptop now that the Control Zone touchpad is working without a hassle.

I assume it must be related to the laptop's assembly, since the touchpad needs to be carefully installed.

If right or left clicking doesn't work when the touchpad's single-center button is pressed, something's wrong.

HP Recommended

Interesting. Assuming it does stay fixed; I wonder what about the install was incorrect to begin with. Did you notice anything askew or unusual before or while removing it?

HP Recommended
It seems like your way fixing it, the bigger problem is smart sense features that fail to calibrate properly. I had a self fix where I modify a non propriety driver code to make use of the control zone. It was working fine but I couldn't get all the features that comes along with the touchpad.

I just tried your method of removing and it works fine for now but I'll see how it goes before confirming .

Thanks
HP Recommended

I'll mention that when I've wiped & cleaned my HP Envy's touchpad with a moist cloth, the Control Zone touchpad stops working quite right, even after it dries out and there's no more excess moisture left.

The laptop was still powered on, though, which is bad. I restarted my laptop and the dry touchpad worked again.

So don't sneeze on the touchpad or get the component wet in any way, since it interrupts touch calibration.

Same thing with dust & subtle oils; this touchpad doesn't like any of that, even when it's installed right.

The laptop's Control Zone should be considered extra sensitive to any external elements which may interfere with expected mouse pointer functionality.

I've used an HP Pavilion with a working (but smeared) touchpad; it still worked right, even with food stains.

HP Recommended

@Jeff_HPEnvy wrote:

Interesting. Assuming it does stay fixed; I wonder what about the install was incorrect to begin with. Did you notice anything askew or unusual before or while removing it?

It all looked like I'd expect it to be. The screws did seem a bit tight, though. I'm not sure what got it working again after I removed & reinstalled the touchpad hardware. There's also some tape I removed. It was probably the screws.

HP Recommended

See my post for a temporary fix.  It's quite easy to do.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/HP-Touchpad-Issues-HP-ENVY-15t-q100-Needs-Reflashed-t...

Just go into the Synaptics folder, find the reflash file, double click it, and it's fixed (until it happens again).

--------- C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynReflash

The best thing to do is to add the reflash folder to your taskbar so that you can just click it once while you're having trouble with the trackpad.  Mine periodically stops working...Actually, it just did today!  All I had to do was click on the red Synaptics reflash icon that I added to my taskbar, and it started working within a few seconds. 

When you open 'Reflash', a little window will pop up, you don't need to click anything on that window.  When the window pops up, you will notice that your trackpad begins working again.  This temporary fix has worked for me EVERY time.  Now, we just need a permanent fix from HP.

I hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Hey I have the HP envy 15t-q100 laptop that I recently purchased an I am having the same problems with the touchpad as it moves randomly and detects pressure being applied even when I am not using the trackpad at all. I think most ENVY's have a touchpad defect but who knows it might just be my laptop because I already have had to send it in to fixed a dead/stuck pixel after 1 month of use 😞

HP Recommended

HP has just released a Bios Update that actually fixes some keyboard and touchpad issues. 

SoftPaq NUMBER:  SP70603

Models supported:

HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC
HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC
HP ENVY Notebook PC
HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 8.1 32 Bit
Microsoft Windows 8.1 32-bit Small Screen Touch Edition
Microsoft Windows 8.1 32-bit Chinese Market
Microsoft Windows 8.1 32-bit Emerging Markets
Microsoft Windows 8.1 32-bit Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 8.1 32-bit Multi-Language
Microsoft Windows 8.1 32-bit Professional
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Small Screen Touch Edition
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Chinese Market
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Emerging Markets
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Multi-Language
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional

Hope you can finally put an end to this thread.

Regards

HP Recommended

I enjoyed using the trackpad on my previous two Pavilion Notebooks but this recent machine has an an annoying trackpad with a lack of tactile feel  and I feel my trackpad coordination has been lost while using. Have tried different settings but is still very annoying. The previous HP Notebooks trackpads were the reason I stuck with HP. Now I am very dissapointed with my choice. Friends who don`t like their trackpads on other manufactures machines say plug in a mouse. 

HP Recommended
HP ENVY Slim 15T-q100..touchpad was dead since first week, there was no support from HP, bought a new touchpad from ebay. have been using for more than a month without any problems. so i firmly believe its a hardware issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.