Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey there - I have exactly the same machine as you - and the same problem.

Trying to put WIndows 8 ENterprise on the HP Envy X2 and there is no Legacy Boot option.

I rang HP SUpport and spoke to Isaq there who told me that this is not possible to do, and even if it were it would void the warranty (Case number 4711112945)

So I guess that means you can't use a HP Envy in a corporate environment that requires you to join a domain - let alone install any other OS like Lunix etc.

I will be returning the PC at the first opportunity - I would encourage others to do the same.

Cheers,

J.

HP Recommended

1. What version of windows are you currently running? Windows 8

2. Are any error messages, lights blinking, or sounds coming from the computer when you try to boot the computer up?

Depends

Many times boots toWin 8

Some times to boot from efi (when efi enabled) does not accept any boot options

EFI disabled

No dice

HP Recommended
Bad answer
Good answer:
Do these three (or some reasonable number) steps to boot from USB
HP Recommended
Generally agree
Poor computer
Poor company
Poor support
Advice: avoid all of the above
HP Recommended

I had the same problem,

I wanted to re-install windows 8 after updating to windows 8.1 (which messed up my tablet) and could'nt boot from USB.

After trying the Bios options I tried it with a different USB stick with windows 7, this did not work as well. However, I could boot from USB but only from the FAT partition that was on the same USB-stick.

So I made a Windows 8 installation disk on a FAT partition on a USB stick and this worked. The only problem I have now is installing from it as it says it is not the same version that was originally  on the system and the product keys dont match.

I hope I helped someone with this info 😉

If someone knows a workaround for the product key problem I'd like to hear so, or if someone needs the instructions for making a FAT usb installation disk (cause this doesnt work with the Microsoft USB installation tool).

HP Recommended

No matter which OS wersion you are planning to install.

There 2 separate settings in bios:

- Legacy boot

- secure boot
Make sure first is enabled and second set to Disabled.

Enjoy

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. I can't boot from DVD. 

- HP Envy

Legacy Mode: ON & Secure Boot: OFF

- Nothing strange happens. 

What can I do? 

HP Recommended

I had the same scenario:
New HP envy with no CD,
Windows 8.1
DOUBLE CHECK legacy mode is ON and Secure Boot is OFF

I've done everything according to this guide

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html

There is a link to "Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe" which seems no longer working so I uploaded it to my website:

http://chernysh.org.ua/files/index.php?dir=&file=Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.zip

I got it working  ater changing these two options in bios, Win8.1 is installed not and my wife is reallhy happy 🙂

Good luck

BR

/Anton

HP Recommended

Has any one has any luck installing a new OS with a USB stick I want to install  Windows 8.1 with Media Center, I would install the media Center pack, but it's not capable with the cut down version of Windows 8 on the Envy X2.

People say use Legacy mode, but I don't have that option in the bios I have, might have atg it in a previus version, can I  install a prevoius version of the bios ???

Also if that is no Possible can I install my new OS via a USb DVD drive and will I need legacy mode to do that as well ???

This Hp Envy X2 has been nothing but trouble, if I can't  install my new OS on it, might as well though it int he garbaage, I mean it's not useless, but I don't really want to look at it any more or be reminded of HP the compay,  I HATE IT THAT MUCH AS WELL AS HP.

Its just a pile of crap. Regret every second I have owned it.

Thanks for any help.

<script charset="UTF-8" type="application/javascript" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js"></script>
HP Recommended

**bleep**? Man use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool . no rush, take it easy, create USB stick with  this software.

Look carefully in BIOS for legacy mode (first I thought ny HP is missing it as well). Keep calm and install you 8.1 finally.

Good luck.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.