Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi I recently bought a new HP Pavilion 15 and the volume icon on the bottom right footer has an 'x' in a red circle next to it. When I hover over it, it says 'the audio service is not running'. I currently have no sound on the laptop. 

Any idea how this can be fixed please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

Try the following.

Download the Realtek Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66107.exe

When done, hold down the Windows key and press R.  Into the Run window type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the Realtek device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66094.exe

When the reinstallation has completed, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let Windows fully load - it may automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the Realtek Audio installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' ( or Speakers/HP ) once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button ( it will be greyed out if already set ) - check if you now have audio.

If you still have no audio, hold down the Windows key and press R.  Type services.msc and hit enter.  Locate Windows audio servive, right click it and select Properties.  If the service is not running, try starting it.

If you still receive the 'Windows could not start the windows audio service on local computer'. Error OX800706cc - The endpoint is duplicate' error, you're best bet is to do a Refresh as detailed on the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03538721

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your Pavilion 15 series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi, hope this is what you're after.

Product number:J5B64EA#ABU
Serial number:[Moderator edited Serial Number]

Thanks

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

The first thing I'd suggest is to download and reinstall the Realtek HD Aurio driver on the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69618.exe

When the reinstallation has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K, did the re-install and restart but still the same, no change! Little x in red circle still appearing at the 'sound' icon on bottom footer.

I did a troubleshoot query on the computer itself and it said 'both windows audio and windows audio end point builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. At least one of these services isn't working'.

Any other ideas on how to crack this?

Thanks and appreciate the help?

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

Hold down the Windows key and press R.

Into the Run box type services.msc and hit enter.

Check that the following services are all showing as Status= Started and Start-up Type= Automatic

Audio Service   ( this may not be in the list )

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Windows Audio

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

If you need to make a change to any of the above, just right click the service and select Properties, then in the dropdown box next to 'Start-up type',  select Automatic and click Apply to save the change.  Then click the Start button.

When done, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K, thanks for the continued advice, unfortunately still not working! 

'Audio Service' as you thought was not on the list.

Both 'Multimedia Class Scheduler and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, are showing 'Running' on the status and 'Automatic' in 'start up type'.

'Windows Audio' is showing nothing in the 'staus' and 'automatic' in the 'start up type'. However when I follow your instructions and hit the 'start' button, it comes up with the following pop up error;

'Windows could not start the windows audio service on local computer'. Error OX800706cc - The endpoint is duplicate'

Any other thoughts on how to crack this.....???

Thanks and appreciate your time and effort in trying to resolve this.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

Try the following.

Right click the Windows Audio service and select Properties.

Select the Log On tab.

Fill in the radio button next to 'This account.' and type in Local Service

Clear the password fields and then click Apply and Ok to save the change.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K, went to the 'log on' tab. 'Local service' already in the radio button next to 'this account'. When I clear both pasword fields and hit apply, they get filled in automatically straight away and when I hit start, nothing. When I did this first an error message popped up, but unfortunately I failed to take note of what it said and it isn't popping up anymore.

Further troubleshooting and suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

What security software is installed on your notebook?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.