Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion DV6 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I kept having the same problem with my laptop. Its nearly 6 years since I've been using it and this is the first time I had a major issue with it. 

It started with some small like green colored objects alienating my screen. After awhile the screen turned to black and an error message showed up. (pictures attached).

18073613_10209414487508237_1920696441_n.jpg

18073613_10209414487508237_1920696441_n.jpg

Then the laptop will automatically restart. When it does, it will get passed the windows logo and the screen will turn black however you can hear the welcome sound despite the black screen.

I tried all the remedies I've seen in your support videos. I also restored the laptop to its out of state box several times already which I'm not sure is healthy although it does fix the error. But after quite some time, probably just 3 days max or oftentimes just a few hours later the same green objects will appear in my screen and the same problem will occur.

I'm just baffled because everything seems to be working perfectly with the laptop since I can still access it but only on a safe mode (I'm actually posting this on a safe mode with networking option).

I refuse to send it to a technician and I really want to fix the issue on my own. Unfortunately, I can't really tell what's causing the problem.

I would be extremely grateful to all of your input on fixing this error.

Kind Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have kept the laptop for 6 years and based on the description it seems you never had major major issues with it so far and this started to happen recently. If you performed HP Recovery and restoted the PC to factory default condition and you didn't touch the drivers for the video card afterwards, it looks like a hardware issue.

If it was a software issue, a different stable version (newer or older) of the video card driver would have worked. If you had the PC for quite some time and the driver worked fine but was eventually updated, the issue may have started but would have been resolved if you restored to factory initial condition and didn't update the driver again (because with HP Recovery you revered to a previous stable version of the driver).

Based on this Microsoft Technet article, BSOD stop error like yours 0x116 can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver, so that it properly supports the TDR process.
  • Hardware issues that impact the ability of the video card to operate properly, including:
    • Over-clocked components, such as the motherboard
    • Incorrect component compatibility and settings (especially memory configuration and timings)
    • Insufficient system cooling
    • Insufficient system power
    • Defective parts (memory modules, motherboards, etc.)
  • Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down so that the video card can not respond as necessary.

*Further steps*

1) I suggest you visit the official HP website for drivers > https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Enter your full PC product model , download the video card drivers and install the latest version

You may also update all other drivers such as chipset, audio, network

2) Perform basic hardware checks - at least the memory

2.1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2.2. Power it on.

2.3  As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

2.4 Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics (or press the respective F button for run-in diagnostics). Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform Run-in test , hard disk drive and memory (RAM) checks - whatever is available based on your PC model.

Let me know the test results.

Finally, If you run with the latest driver and the issue continues (and if the previous suggestions were performed),  it will turn out to be hardware issue and you will need to send it to a technician/service center for further diagnostics or video card replacement...

Looking forward to your update. Cheers!

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @pats28

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting. 🙂

Please, clarify if your PC runs Windows 7 ?  It never had newer Windows such as 8 or 10, right ?

You have posted in the correct subforum sections because I can clearly see the issue is caused by the video card itself or due to the video card driver atikmpag

You mentioned this:

"I also restored the laptop to its out of state box several times already which I'm not sure is healthy although it does fix the error. But after quite some time, probably just 3 days max or oftentimes just a few hours later the same green objects will appear in my screen and the same problem will occur."

After restoring your Windows to factory default condition, do you update Windows after that ? Do you update your drivers after that ?  If you do, please don't do it.  Just restore to factory default condition and do not update anything.

Ensure Windows Update automatic is turned off, ensure HP Support Assistant does not automatically update your drivers, don't do any updates manually with regards to the video card.

• If you update the driver to something new(er) or it gets automatically updated - this is what causes the problem - unstable ATI/AMD driver
  • If you just reset the PC to factory default condition, keep this state, do not update Windows or drivers and the issue persists - the issue is probably hardware related.

So, please, restore to factory default condition and do not update anything. Just install security/antivirus product.

Ensure Windows Update automatic is turned off, ensure HP Support Assistant does not automatically update your drivers, don't do any updates manually with regards to the video card. Use the PC for a day or two and let me know it goes.

Looking forward to your update.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes it runs on windows 7.

Its been upgraded before to windows 10 because of an update. However, I didn't quite like the new windows therefore I downgrade it back to windows 7.

I believed I've done that before because I also suspect that it might be the updates but after a few hours it happens again much quicker compared if I have the updates on. But I'll do a factory settings again and make sure the updates are off. I'll let you know soon.

HP Recommended

I followed your advise although it only lasted for a couple of hours and then the incident happened again. 

Are you suggesting that its a hardware issue?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You have kept the laptop for 6 years and based on the description it seems you never had major major issues with it so far and this started to happen recently. If you performed HP Recovery and restoted the PC to factory default condition and you didn't touch the drivers for the video card afterwards, it looks like a hardware issue.

If it was a software issue, a different stable version (newer or older) of the video card driver would have worked. If you had the PC for quite some time and the driver worked fine but was eventually updated, the issue may have started but would have been resolved if you restored to factory initial condition and didn't update the driver again (because with HP Recovery you revered to a previous stable version of the driver).

Based on this Microsoft Technet article, BSOD stop error like yours 0x116 can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver, so that it properly supports the TDR process.
  • Hardware issues that impact the ability of the video card to operate properly, including:
    • Over-clocked components, such as the motherboard
    • Incorrect component compatibility and settings (especially memory configuration and timings)
    • Insufficient system cooling
    • Insufficient system power
    • Defective parts (memory modules, motherboards, etc.)
  • Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down so that the video card can not respond as necessary.

*Further steps*

1) I suggest you visit the official HP website for drivers > https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Enter your full PC product model , download the video card drivers and install the latest version

You may also update all other drivers such as chipset, audio, network

2) Perform basic hardware checks - at least the memory

2.1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2.2. Power it on.

2.3  As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

2.4 Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics (or press the respective F button for run-in diagnostics). Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform Run-in test , hard disk drive and memory (RAM) checks - whatever is available based on your PC model.

Let me know the test results.

Finally, If you run with the latest driver and the issue continues (and if the previous suggestions were performed),  it will turn out to be hardware issue and you will need to send it to a technician/service center for further diagnostics or video card replacement...

Looking forward to your update. Cheers!

HP Recommended

I'm afraid I would have to send it to a technician now. Since I've already done all your suggestions earlier but it still keeps happening. 

Massive thanks for your time and for your help. Appreciate it a lot. 🙂

HP Recommended

You are most welcome ! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.