Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
G72-B60US
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

On the screen of this laptop, the video is blurred. The video is crystal clear when using the HDMI port.  I have updated the drivers and OS.   Resolution is set to recommended native.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry -- I didn't know you were experienced in this kind of work.  I tend to err on the cautious side because we get folks here who literally don't know the difference between "memory" and "disk space" -- but yet, are eager to completely disassemble a laptop without any professional help.

I do laptop part replacement too, along with fan replacements and keyboard replacements -- and since you appear to know what you're doing, there should not be a problem.

So here is a tool that HP provides for you to obtain HP part numbers:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/mo...

If you're like me, you Google for the parts, once you have the numbers, and order them from online laptop part suppliers.

Hey, good luck in replacing the screen!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

ChicagoSparky

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but I don't see how having the HDMI port connected affects the video on the laptop screen.

Could you please provide more details?  For example, are you streaming video from some other source through the HDMI cable connected to the laptop?

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Perhaps we are not thinking of the same thing.  I will re-word:

The video is blurred when the signal is sent to the built in LCD screen.  When I send it to the VGA or HDMI port using a seperate monitor, the video is clear.   I am leaning toward a new display although I guess the video cable could be bad also.

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for the details -- that's a lot clearer now.

My guess matches yours -- the laptop screen is failing.  While it could be the connector cable inside, that is just a ribbon cable and is very unlikely to go bad.

Unfortunately, replacing a screen has two problems ...

First, it is not considered a customer replacement part, so there is a serious risk of damage to the laptop doing this procedure as it is very involved.

Second, it is a very expensive repair procedure because you have to pay for the time and labor not only to replace the screen, but also to run diagnostics before and after the replacement.  The total cost could easily match that of simply replacing the laptop.

My suggestion is to contact an HP Certified Service Center to see if they will provide you an estimate of the repair cost:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Thanks for your assessment.  I have replaced a couple of dozen screen so I guess I can do one more.  You are right about it being labor intensive.  Just keeping track of the screws is a job in itself.

HP Recommended

Sorry -- I didn't know you were experienced in this kind of work.  I tend to err on the cautious side because we get folks here who literally don't know the difference between "memory" and "disk space" -- but yet, are eager to completely disassemble a laptop without any professional help.

I do laptop part replacement too, along with fan replacements and keyboard replacements -- and since you appear to know what you're doing, there should not be a problem.

So here is a tool that HP provides for you to obtain HP part numbers:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/mo...

If you're like me, you Google for the parts, once you have the numbers, and order them from online laptop part suppliers.

Hey, good luck in replacing the screen!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help with my first post Dean.  It was fast and friendly.  I usually have several irons in the fire at one time

so it helps to ask others that are experienced with a certain brand.   My brain cells are leaving as fast as my gray hair is arriving so I will gratefully accept all help any more.  THANKS!                                        

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.