Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - m6-w103dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I want to disable tablet mode so the keyboard remains active when I open the screen 360 degrees (I want to use the computer and its on-board keyboard with an external monitor.)

I have been to Settings/tablet mode.  I don't see a general toggle to turn it off.   I have set it to always open in desktop mode, and to ask me before switching to tablet.  I always tell it no, but it turns off the keyboard anyway.

I know the machine CAN do what I want -- if I open the screen to 360 over and over, once in a while the keyboard stays active for me.  Seems entirely random, though.  Any insight?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DougDD wrote:

I know the machine CAN do what I want -- if I open the screen to 360 over and over, once in a while the keyboard stays active for me.  Seems entirely random, though.  Any insight?

It's where the keyboard remains active when in tablet mode that is the glitch.  There has to be a mechanical switch in the hinge that disables the keyboard once it rotates past the 180 degrees. Somehow, your laptop's sensor is failing to detect that you've rotated the screen and keeps the keyboard active.  You'll need to break warranty by altering your laptop if you want it to function how it's not designed to operate.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply (not sure who replied).  BUT....

Here's reason why I keep wondering if there is a way to reduce the randomness:  If as you say it was designed to always go to tablet whenever it's flipped 360 and there is no other option, then WHY would it even ASK if I want to go to tablet mode ? -- wouldn't it just go to tablet mode without asking?  

(And then when I tell it "no, don't go to tablet mode," why does it always ignore my answer?)

All that seems to suggest that SOME way to avoid tablet mode is built into the machine...otherwise, why build in that question routine?  It's just not in the user guide!

Doug

HP Recommended

Ah, you're confusing things.  Changing into tablet mode is a function of Windows.  It will change the interface into a more touch friendly environment.  It has nothing to do with the hardware function of disabling the keyboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.