Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got my Envy x360 running on Windows 10.

I noticed that there's a sensor somewhere that detects the orientation of the laptop and somehow attempts to put it in tablet mode. I went ahead and disabled the auto-switch function, so my laptop actually stays in desktop mode when rotated. However, independent of whether the laptop is in tablet mode, it still disables both the touchpad and keyboard functions when rotated, since you would only use the touchscreen when the laptop is in tablet mode. I sometimes use the laptop lying sideways (rotated 90 degrees) and that does not necessarily mean I want to use it as a tablet, and I would not want my input devices to be automatically switched off against my will.

I looked up a solution that involves disabling Synaptics SMBus Driver, which presumably disables the software connecting touchpad functionality to laptop orientation. This allows touchpad to work when rotated. However, I can't find the way to accomplish the same for the keyboard. I noticed that the keyboard and the sensors are connected via HID drivers but I don't understand what they are.

TL;DR: rotating laptop disables touchpad and keyboard even when it's not in tablet mode. Disabling Synaptics SMBus Driver solves the touchpad portion. Don't know what to do for the keyboard portion.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @nhgk,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues with screen rotation disables Touchpad and keyboard. I'll try my best to help you with this,

I did a research and found that the feature how it's designed to work. 

For more specific, please visit these links:

Switching Between Tablet Mode and Desktop Mode (Windows 10) - Click here

How to Configure and Disable the Screen Rotation Feature - Click here

In order to use it in a tablet mode, you can use an external keyboard, Wireless or Bluetooth.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you require any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet,

I'm afraid you don't fully understand what I'm trying to ask. I've already seen the articles you've mentioned and they are absolutely of no use since the disabling of the touchpad and the keyboard has nothing to do with whether the laptop is in a tablet mode or whether screen rotation is enabled. I'm a software developer and I understand a thing or two about tweaking OS settings. Please read these following points carefully:

1. The laptop is NOT in tablet mode. I made sure the automatic switching function is turned off and that it NEVER enters tablet mode. I don't even plan on using it as a tablet, ever.

2. It's NOT Windows 10 that's disabling the touchpad and the keyboard. It's some hardware driver that listens to a "laptop rotated" event and triggers Synaptic and HID to shut off. Evidently turning off Synaptic's hardware-specific SMBus driver for the touchpad does the trick for the touchpad.

3. There must be some low-level way to either (a) shut off the rotation sensor OR (b) disconnect the keyboard from the rotation sensor. I'm asking whether there's a specific driver that I might be able to turn off, since I could do that for the touchpad.

4. This could definitely be a bug, so please make sure the developers are aware of it. The disabling of the touchpad and the keyboard must be intended to save battery and make the laptop more like a tablet, but it happens independently of whether the laptop is actually in tablet mode or not. This indicates there's some loophole in the software-hardware integration codes.

I hope to see a legitimate fix soon. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @nhgk,

HP hybrid computers which work like a tablet or a desktop have certain features disabled in tablet mode.

The tablet mode is an environment used to get full and rich features of a tablet. As a result, the touchpad and keyboard are disabled in this mode.

This is a design feature of HP hybrid computers. At a certain angle, the computer works as a tablet for the user to enjoy the complete functionality of the tablet. without any interference of the desktop environment. 

In the desktop mode, the complete desktop features including touch and keyboard functionality are restored. This is a feature of hybrid computers.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet,

I'm still not convinced whether you're addressing my inquiry accurately. I do NOT want to use my laptop as a tablet, unless I specifically tell it to become a tablet. A laptop's being convertible does not mean all users have the same usage pattern and want to use it as a tablet in exactly same situations. Rotating a laptop does NOT mean I want to use it as a tablet. I've disabled the tablet feature of Window 10, so the laptop should NOT and NEVER become a tablet, unless I go to the settings and put the machine in tablet mode.

Here's a yes or no version of what I've been asking: is it at all possible to use my keyboard and touchpad while the laptop is lying sideways? All other laptops I've used and seen say yes, even the hybrid ones through a minor tweak in the OS settings. Is HP going to be the first one that says no?

If the hybrid laptops were designed to become a tablet against the user's wish just because it's oriented in a certain way, in spite of the OS settings disabling the tablet feature, it's definitely a poor design with an incredibly easy fix. I really appreciate your effort in looking into the case, but please do not dismiss the message at this level. I imagine there are lots of HP laptop users confused over the exact same issue. Please address this to product development.

HP Recommended

Hi @nhgk,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Were you able to resolve this problem? because I have the same problem here.

Why don't HP provide a solution for this? instead of replying to you directly?

HP Recommended

Hey Jeet.

Can you provide me a solution for this as well?

HP Recommended

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.