Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv6t-3100 CTO Entertainment Notebook PCSerial number (S/N): [Personal Information Removed]  Product number (P/N): ww142av Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (64-bit)

Getting black screen dipslay when I tried to install the latest ATI Catalyst Center (ATI CCC) in my laptop. After restarting my laptop also I am getting the same balck screen disply.

When I was in Windows 7 Home Premimum I am able to swicth the grsphics display option from ATI to Intel. After upgrding to Windows 8 PRo only I am facing this display issue. Is this related with HP power manager software or else related with Windows 8 PRo compatability issue.

Please help me to fix this issue ASAP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Right click amd drivers and click update driver. After "Browse my computer for driver software" => "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" => "Have Disk..." and paste the location of W76A_INF.

And have you tested uninstalling intel hd graphics before installing amd?

Well, I really prefer you to install leshcatlabs drivers instead, they are more up to date drivers.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello Logeswaran,

It's hard to speculate, but I bet it is a compatibility issue. Have you tried the Windows 7 driver while using Windows 8?

HP is not going to support hardware for Windows 8 on any system purchased before Oct 1st 2011.  Most Windows 7 drivers will work in Windows 8.

Check out this page to see if your computer has been tested by HP with Windows 8.

You can run the Upgrade assistant software, which will scan your PC and generate a report on what is currently installed on your PC is compatible with Windows 8.  This upgrade guide for Windows 8 provides a lot of information that is needed for anyone considering upgrading.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hi,

You should try to do a clean install on Windows 8 and then install ATI Catalyst Center (Don't forget to turn on .NET Framework 3.5). I'm using the same graphics drivers like you too and this has worked without a problem on my laptop HP Pavilion dv6-3163eo Entertainment Notebook PC. Don't forget to use the compatibility

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have installed the Windows 8 Pro with clean Install and installed the .Net Framework 3.5 as well.But,the problem is while installing the ATI Catalyst CCC Windows 8 compatibility version itself my display gone to Black screen. I have tried the same thing four times. Please provide the ATI catalyst Link which will support ATI Mobility Radeon Grpahics Pre 5XXXX series.

Thank You. 

HP Recommended
Already I tried the Upgrade assistant software. Then only I planned to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. Let check once again.

Thank You.
HP Recommended
Already I have tried the upgrade assistant. Let try once again.

Thank You.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Have you tried update the graphics driver through device manager instead?

You should see something like this Device Manager.

and then proceed to this Device Manager 2 where you will click "Disk finns..." and paste the location of amd drivers i.e. \SP50640\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF (or W7_INF if u use x86). This will install intel hd graphics drivers and amd drivers only.

If this works, then you can try install the amd catalyst or install amd official graphics drivers (can't guarantee it will work for your laptop too).

EDIT: If this does not work then its better to install drivers from http://leshcatlabs.net/ instead.

HP Recommended

ATI I have tried this but it's not works. Also my Laptop ATI Device is compatible for Windows 8. Since, I have located the driver as you suggested but I couldn't see ATI device itself. Please refer the screenshot and advise me.

HP Recommended

Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant Report
For you to review
Compatible
Computer name: LOGESWARANKUMAR Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
Manufacturer: Hewlett - Packard
Model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz
Memory: 8.1
Install an application to play DVDs
You may need to install an application to play DVDs in Windows 8.
Sidebar gadgets aren't supported in Windows 8
You won't be able to use the sidebar gadgets that are installed on your PC in Windows 8.
Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.
HP SimplePass Identity Protection DigitalPersona, Inc., Version 5.20.233
Not compatible
HP TouchSmart Hewlett - Packard, Version 4.0.28.0
Go to the app website for help
Google Talk (remove only)
LightScribe System Software LightScribe
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Microsoft Corporation
Microsoft Silverlight Microsoft Corporation
PlayReady PC Runtime amd64 Microsoft Corporation
PowerISO
Page 1 of 2Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant
12 - 01 -2013file:///C:/Users/Logeswaran/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WebSetup/Panther/PrintableR ...
PowerISO Computing, Inc.
VLC media player 2.0.5 VideoLAN
WinZip 15.5 WinZip Computing, S.L.
µTorrent
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.20) Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Broadcom 2070 Bluetooth Broadcom
High Definition Audio Device Microsoft
HP Webcam Microsoft
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC IDT
Intel(R) HD Graphics Intel Corporation
Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN Intel Corporation
Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4
Microsoft
Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad Synaptics
USB Mass Storage Device Compatible USB storage device
Page 2 of 2Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant
12 - 01 -2013file:///C:/Users/Logeswaran/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WebSetup/Panther/PrintableR ...

HP Recommended

Right click amd drivers and click update driver. After "Browse my computer for driver software" => "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" => "Have Disk..." and paste the location of W76A_INF.

And have you tested uninstalling intel hd graphics before installing amd?

Well, I really prefer you to install leshcatlabs drivers instead, they are more up to date drivers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.