Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I've trawled around and seen that the issue of the F2 and F3 buttons for brightness doesnt actually change the brightness, I get the symbol but no change. 

I also have an issue with the Beats scroll wheel which will not allow me to switch it to anti clockwise even when selected on the beats audio software.

From the looks of it the brightness issue is an old one and im shocked it's still happening, hopefully someone can give me a straight and easy fix to this, would be great 😄

Product name: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC

Product number: A2Q36EA#ABU

Serial number: [Edited for Personal Information]

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

Thanks for your help in advance!

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi C_Evans,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP ENVY 17-3002ea Notebook and brightness issues. Here is a link to change display settings. I would uninstall the keyboard. Restart the computer after uninstalling, it should reinstall automatically.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi sorry for the really late response, uninstalling the driver did not solve the issue.

I also have another issue where the laptop runs without being plugged into the mains but the battery symbol indicates that there is not battery present, it only recognises there is one when I plug the laptop into the mains and unplug it.

Any solutions please? 😄

HP Recommended

Hi C_Evans,

I have read your thread on your HP ENVY 17-3002ea Notebook and having an issue with the battery. Here is a link to test and calibrate the battery. Here is a link to test the ac adapter. If you are still have issues I recommend restore the computer back to factory defaults.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi none of the ways you've told me to sort out this brightness issue have worked?

This is getting pretty annoying now as you don't seem to know of a fix and it's got to be pretty **bleep** bad for the battery for the laptop to be on constant brightness...

HP Recommended

Hey C_Evans,

I take it your laptop is running newer AMD drivers than it should?

It is also switchable Intel + AMD correct?

Your issue lies in the proper FeatureTestControl value that allows for the brightness keys to work. There is a tool on leshcatlabs that allows changing this value and HP will not find you a new value. So your only option is to use the HP drivers or find a value.

However with AMD 14.6 all fixed switching laptops will be forced to use dynamic switching .. so brightness control on AMD will become irrelevant.

HP Recommended

So, there's no way of fixing it basically? Stuck on full brightness for good? 

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

Saw that, you have been waiting for an answer for ages... I wonder if ya got any solution to the problem?

Restore your machine back to factory dafault is the default last post of technical support.

Have the same problem with a newer m7-k111dx. Wasted a lot of time trying to solve the issue on a premium HP machine that you would expect to work right taken out of the box. No updates, nothing to restore to factory defaults, and getting it replaced will lead to nothing. Frustrating.

HP Recommended

Hey folks.

Has anyone tried to update your software. Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system.

Here is a feature for your display drivers. That might help with brightness.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Appreciate your help.

But,  just to clear things up:

What we ask is, to be able to use the BRIGHTNESS KEYS of our laptop to control the screen's BRIGHTNESS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.