Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since purchasing my HP Spectre prior to Christmas I have experienced ghost tapping with the touch screen. Either as randomly timed taps in the same location or continuous taps in the same location. Resetting the device stops it from happening but within around 30 minutes to an hour of use the tapping returns and will be in a different location from the previous session.

Having this issue from day one is very dissapointing and I wasn't expecting to have such an issue believing HP to provide quality products. Since searching for the issue I can see that others also experience the fault. Seems odd that a premium product can have so many units with faults and a fault that was known about in previous products. I'm not confident that a repair will give me much assurance that the issue won't return so may seek a refund from where I purchased it. A little saddened by that as I was looking forward to owning the new Spectre 360.

I haven't experienced HP support before, do others have experience and have others had a good experience with the new Spectre 360? I like the device so would prefer to get it fixed, but I start Uni next week and will struggle to be without a laptop.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@Magestarium

Welcome to HP Forums, 

this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand your HP Spectre x360 Convertible Touch Screen seems as though a Ghost is tapping,

Don't worry, the ghostbusters are here 😉

I recommend checking if the Touch is working on BIOS (Accessed by tapping on F10 while restarting the computer).

If it works on bios, it's a software issue: please reinstall the display drivers, install the latest updates for the display adapters and BIOS, if the issue persists, you could reinstall the windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue

If it doesn't work on BIOS either, it's a hardware failure and you may need to contact HP to set up a hardware repair service.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks I will give this a try and update the post for others.
Hope it's not driver related because they are all up to date and have been since day one. I have been through the day one switch on and update, and the day 2, day x and so on.

If it is hardware what's the expected time of being without the laptop while it's repaired?

At least I'm comfortable tinkering about to try and resolve it feel sorry for those that aren't.
HP Recommended

@Magestarium

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

To answer your question, if it's a hardware issue, the repair time of your laptop via HP depends on the various options available within HP (the earliest would be within 4-6 business days).

I will gladly wait until you perform the steps and get back to me with the details for further assistance (if need be).

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hmmm! it would appear this is a common fault. Despite a number of attempts from HP Support to fix mine its still faulty.  Once again I will have to contact HP Support or maybe I'll just call the Consumer Ombudsman instead!

HP Recommended
Just a thought after re-reading the suggested solution, it reads like it's trying to solve the touch screen not working at all. The touch screen works in both BIOS mode and when in use, the ghost tapping has only occured in normal use so might be driver related, but if my driver's are all up to date and this first happened right out of the box what else am I supposed to do?

I could start over as you say with re-installing windows but as this happened on day one after switching on the laptop on I suspect this won't clear the issue. So is this a common fault with all touch screen windows 10 devices or just HP devices? My Dell work laptop never has this issue but then the drivers are probably different in that device.

I would expect it to work out of the box, it's not like I have installed anything beyond the original config.

The touch screen device drivers are fairly old with no recent updates, if it's an OS issue then wouldn't all windows 10 with the same OS version have a similar occurance of the issue. I think that would be news worthy if that was the case. Much conjecture here but it seems like HP have an issue.
HP Recommended

@Dalcash

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Magestarium

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand that there are issues since day one and you are absolutely right on the fact that an OS reinstallation may not make much difference, the reason I suggested that was to avoid any compatibility issues on programs installed after the day one setup, since you've confirmed that there aren't any changes as such made.

I would request you contact HP so that they may set up a repair service order or if the PC was purchased from HPShopping within the last 30days you can get yourself a replacement computer instead.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please post solution publically. i am having the same intermittent ghost tapping issues.

It seems to go away after reboot only to recur after 30 minutes.

Lso, sees the Synaptic ClickPad driver is buggy amd crahes.

Thank

HP Recommended

Please post solution publically. i am having the same intermittent ghost tapping issues.

It seems to go away after reboot only to recur after 30 minutes.

Also, seems the Synaptic ClickPad driver is buggy amd crashes, frequently.

Thank

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.