Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 2009m Monitor

I use an HP 2009m for gaming. I use a Xbox One for gaming. Everytime I power on the monitor and turn on the Xbox it says Current Settings: 640x480-60Hz and It just says Recommended Settings: 1600x900-60Hz. How do I change it to those settings? My uncle had an old Xbox One that he used on the same exact monitor and it fit the screen but with the recommended settings. It has black bars horizontally and the quality is absolutely terrible. When my uncle used it I have the exact same cords and everything. At the time of my uncle using the same setup, he had 1080p or so when mine is like 144p.. But the main question is... How can I change my current settings (640x480-60Hz) to my recommended settings (1600x900-60Hz). Please respond ASAP

Things I have tried: Absolutely nothing, I thought that it would change the old Xbox Monitor settings to this one

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Skree

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand you want to know how to change the Recommended Settings,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Did you try changing the resolution on the Xbox One console to fit into the display?

If you haven't, there's something you should know about, how the default monitor resolution works:

HP Flat Panel Monitors - Changing the Screen Resolution

Types of screen resolution

The liquid crystal display (LCD) panel used in flat panel monitors have a fixed, predefined pixel format over a set area. For example, if the LCD panel has a predefined area of 1,024 x 768, there are exactly 1,024 pixels in each horizontal line and 768 pixels in each vertical line or 786,432 total pixels.

There are three types of screen resolution configurations on LCD monitors:

• Native resolution or optimal resolution occurs when the screen resolution in Windows is the same as the predefined area of the LCD panel. Native resolution is typically the maximum monitor resolution, and HP recommends using LCD monitors at the native resolution.

• Fixed matrix display uses the number of pixels required for a certain resolution exclusively and typically results in a border or framing effect, but the image size remains unchanged. The fixed matrix display method prevents users from taking full advantage of the monitor screen size.

Figure 1: Fixed matrix display

Example of a fixed matrix display with a black border surrounding the image on the screen
  • Scaling uses an expansion technique known as an interpolated algorithm to widen the resolution to fit the entire viewable area of the screen. Scaling requires the manipulation of pixels adjacent to the text to give individual letters a smoother look. The image remains equivalently sized, but the image might appear blurry due to the dithering and loss of data, color, or information. Scaling is the most common method to make full use of the entire screen when operating in a resolution lower than the native resolution.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

If isn't being optimized, you could attempt a factory reset of the monitor: 
To restore the factory settings, access the OSD menu, select Factory Reset, and then select Yes

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The person asked how to change the resolution. I dont like to read much so that extremely long answer lost me.

Can anyone just tell how to change the resolution on a HP 2009m.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.